My son as been diagnosed with spastic paraplegics also bifid spine depression agoraphobia — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

My son as been diagnosed with spastic paraplegics also bifid spine depression agoraphobia

Delphine Member Posts: 1 Listener
I really need some advise I don't know what to do anymore my son's 30 years old he's homeless currently staying with me in my one bedroom flat has been diagnosed with these disabilities he's suicidal Say's he wants to kill himself every day DWP have taken his benefits away from him they make him sign on at the job center knowing he carnt walk without tripping up or falling he suffers with terrible back pain we have appealed three times now and now its going to go to a tribunal I just don't know what to do or where to even start to get help he had an assessment and with in ten minutes of us being in the assessment the advisor told us he'd already failed as DWP consider he can use a wheelchair they have just ripped us apart he's also had sick notes from his doctor that they won't accept I'm afraid for him that he may do something to end his life please someone help me if you can 


  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2018
    Hi @Delphine, and welcome to the community.

    I'm so sorry to hear about your current situation, and that your son is struggling. It sounds like you're dealing with a lot, and I really hope we can help.

    It's good that you're appealing your benefits decision at tribunal level. Here is some guidance on appealing DWP decisions- have a read, and do come back to us with any questions.

    You mention that your son is suicidal, does he have any support for his mental health in place at the moment? It may be good to discuss this with a GP, but in the meantime The Samaritans are contactable at 116 123 (free). These NHS mental health helplines may also be helpful.

    Do you have a support system around you for yourself? You're certainly dealing with a lot, and it's important to look after yourself too. If you feel that you'd rather speak to somebody over the phone, the Scope helpline is contactable at 0808 800 3333, or you can find alternative methods of contact here.

    Keep talking to us and keep us updated and we'll help wherever we can, as will our friendly online community members, even if it's just to listen. Have a look through the above resources and let us know how you get on, and if we can be of further assistance, please do let us know.

  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi Delphine,

    Unless you're in a Universal Credit full service area, your son should be able to be paid Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) while he is waiting for his appeal to be looked at. He would just need to get a sick note and call ESA on 0800 169 0310 for it to be re-instated - if you have tried this but he is not being paid, ask them why.

    In addition to ESA, I would recommend that your son also try claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP) as regards his mental and physical abilities impacting on his Daily Living. He can claim by calling 0800 917 2222.

    I agree with Pippa that your son sounds like he needs some medical attention regarding his mental health, and in addition to this, also possibly some Housing advice. I would recommend trying to find a local Citizens Advice, Shelter or Law Centre who can offer Housing advice from a legal perspective, with reference to his disability needs.

    I hope this helps - let us know how you get on.

    Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.