Received White Envelope — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Received White Envelope

GizmoTiddles
GizmoTiddles Community member Posts: 159 Pioneering
This morning received a nice white envelope from those ever so helpful people at Independent Assessment Services  :) (Atos)
 Our very talented health professional will arrive at my home  between 11:00 -1300hrs  on 
What's the best they arrive earlier ?
But at least home visit .
So best make sure the outside CCTV is working in case they miss my door !
What else would you recommend guys ?
Cheers gizmo

Comments

• duckett123
    duckett123 Community member Posts: 81 Courageous
    make sure you are not on your own when they arrive  because they will say you can cope do things for your self and have all your proof of stuff if you need it
  • GizmoTiddles
    Cheers will have a helper with me and necessary I D and paperwork ,but will see how it goes on the day .will update then.
    What the timespan again from F2F and decision ,my meds are playing tricks again
    Gizmo
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Answer all those questions with as much detail as possible. Any evidence you have should have been sent with the form when you returned it to DWP. They have a habbit of refusing to take evidence during the assessment. It happened to me, when i tried to give extra evidence they refused to take it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • GizmoTiddles
    Cheers @poppy123456
    Will be doing some revisions beforehand when I have s clear head 
    Gizmo
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    When you do attend the assessment you may take a companion for support.

Make no special effort, be yourself

Take your medication as prescribed

Most people with long term conditions have learned to manage and conceal their condition. On the day you must become "disabled" for the assessor to see the real you, otherwise an incorrect assessment is likely.
    I am in no way suggesting that anyone should put on an act and pretend to be worse than they are, many people are already stressed, but at the same time it will not help if the claimant " Puts on a brave face" as my gran used to say

If you have a home visit, the assessor is just the same as any visitor , they do not have the right to look around your home.

If possible have a companion with you

Keep to your normal routine. If at the appointed time you are normaly still in bed or not dressed, then, if you are comfortable, there is no reason to alter that.

You decide which room the assessment takes place in
    Assessors may arrive early or late so be ready. Have your ID and medication list to hand.

The assessor will be observing everything you do from the start, how you sit, stand, walk, handle items such as bags and coats.

Don't expect them to answer many questions, they have an agenda and will want to stick to it.

If you have a companion they can take notes.

After the assessment you should ring the DWP and ask for a copy of the report, but wait for 3-4 days for them to receive it. Do not be fobbed off, you are entitled to it no matter what the phone jockey tells you.

When you receive the report it will give you an indication of your possible award it is a recommendation only, it is the DM that makes the decision and it may differ.

When you receive the decision letter, you have a month from the date on the letter to ask for a mandatory reconsideration, no extension is normally given. You can do so by phone and or letter.

If you have received an award the decision letter will tell you what it is, how much and from when.
    If it is a new claim it will be dated from the day of the first phone call. If a change from DLA then it should be dated the day after your DLA stops. If it is a review then it should be a continuation with any back date if a higher award is given

Look for both the end date and the "We will contact you after " date. Reviews are usually carried out a year before the end date. Some shorter awards have an end date and you will have to reapply.

Some useful links

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ment-providers

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...nd-carers/pip/

https://www.rethink.org/resources/p

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • GizmoTiddles
    Many thanks @CockneyRebel
    Very much appreciated 
    Stay lucky 
    Gizmo
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    . They have a habbit of refusing to take evidence during the assessment. It happened to me, when i tried to give extra evidence they refused to take it.
    The last time I looked at the guidance given to assessors, they are required to accept and read it during the assessment process. However what they should do and what they actually do is generally a million miles away and what gets me is that they get away with it!

• GizmoTiddles
    I did show  the assessor a older 2 page letter ,from my then Dr.which he read and made notes .
    did it influence anything? 
    I don't know.or the fact that my companion / witness is a HCP herself , (MHP)again I don't know as I haven't seen his report yet.
    But as I  posted today earlier the decision is already made with delivery of brown envelope.
    Enhanced on both for 10 yrs.
    Cheers
    Gizmo 

• leannemich
    leannemich Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    Make sure somebody’s with you and they open your door for you! thats the first thing they notice!! :) 
  • GizmoTiddles
    @leannemich yes you are so right and we did  :)
  • Yadnad
    edited May 2018
    I did show  the assessor a older 2 page letter ,from my then Dr.which he read and made notes .
    did it influence anything? 
    I don't know.or the fact that my companion / witness is a HCP herself , (MHP)again I don't know as I haven't seen his report yet.
    But as I  posted today earlier the decision is already made with delivery of brown envelope.
    Enhanced on both for 10 yrs.
    Cheers
    Gizmo 

You are one lucky dude! It just shows how different one assessor can be to another.
    They accepted the letter at the assessment and actually read it!  I was told when I did that they don't accept evidence that is what the back office does, and handed it back to me.
    I have never had a home visit (3 assessments since 2013) - always at a centre. 
    I see you had someone with you - I was told at the reception after asking if my wife could come in with me - 'she doesn't need to do that'. So I have always gone in on my own..

Oh yes I'm also well over 65, was 70 a few weeks ago
  • GizmoTiddles
    Was I you @Yadnad having read your post's give one last shot don't take no for an answer you never know policy changes could be on Thier way 
    Be lucky 
    Gizmo
  • Yadnad
    edited May 2018
    Was I you @Yadnad having read your post's give one last shot don't take no for an answer you never know policy changes could be on Thier way 
    Be lucky 
    Gizmo

I'm normally a glass half full guy, but when you mention government policies I doubt very much that whatever comes forward will not only have a negative effect on the descriptors but also on the ability to seek justice at a Tribunal.
    With the level of 'turnovers' almost reaching 70% I cannot see them accepting it for much longer.
    The reason why PIP came out was simply to save 20% of what was being paid out for DLA. Current figures I am informed are running at approx. 120% of what was paid out for DLA.
    So not only is PIP more expensive than what DLA was they also have to add the extra costs of the appeal Tribunals. Financially, PIP makes no sense any more in it's present format.

As for giving it one last shot. I would if I could find someone locally that could guide me and assist with the appeal system. But the main problem is the thought that what I have gone through so far - face to face assessments every 24 months is likely to be the future until I die.
  • GizmoTiddles
    Yadnad said:
    Be lucky 
    Gizmo

I'm normally a glass half full guy, but when you mention government policies I doubt very much that whatever comes forward will not only have a negative effect on the descriptors but also on the ability to seek justice at a Tribunal.
    With the level of 'turnovers' almost reaching 70% I cannot see them accepting it for much longer.
    The reason why PIP came out was simply to save 20% of what was being paid out for DLA. Current figures I am informed are running at approx. 120% of what was paid out for DLA.
    So not only is PIP more expensive than what DLA was they also have to add the extra costs of the appeal Tribunals. Financially, PIP makes no sense any more in it's present format.

As for giving it one last shot. I would if I could find someone locally that could guide me and assist with the appeal system. But the main problem is the thought that what I have gone through so far - face to face assessments every 24 months is likely to be the future until I die.

I totally agree with what you say re the figures it is a total shambles 
    But then isn't the whole of the country at the moment too many pigs feeding from the trough ,spouting things they can't possibly achieve we are but pawns in Thier silly game.
    and I wish  you could find someone in your locality to help you ,whatever you decide stay focused 
    All the best 
    Gizmo 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.