Confused about Medical Evidence - ESA/PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused about Medical Evidence - ESA/PIP

susan48
susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
I have been confused over this and can’t seem to understand it.

Why, as some people say, they are not interested in medical evidence etc when assessing ESA or PIP but then ask for proof of medication your on, the strength of medication and how long you’v been on said medication.

Also why, if it’s not relevant, do they want a diagnosis, any referrals etc.

Its like they want the information but do nothing with it and then state it’s not about medical issues?

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily. Evidence is needed for both claims. The unus is on the claimant to make sure they provide it because they very rarely contact anyone for the evidence. Whether or not the look at the evidence is a totally different thing though.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • susan48
    @poppy123456,
    this is exactly what I mean, what’s the point in asking for the diagnosis, medication list etc if they don’t even use it!! 
    And then say, you’v not been diagnosed if it’s not about that.
    its very confusing, they either need it and use it or don’t, surly?

thanks for the reply 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    You do get some honest HCPs but you also get those that lie through their teeth. The good stories are out there it's just we don't hear about them. Evidence is needed to support both claims.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • susan48
    I understand that we need to provide evidence, I’m just confused as to why we provide evidence and medical evidence but they don’t use, need or want the medical stuff.

its been puzzling me, was just trying to get it straight in my head, overthinking again.

Thanks @poppy123456

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.