ESA stopped as not informed of change — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA stopped as not informed of change

annekay Member Posts: 2 Listener
hi, not sure if this is the correct place but could anyone help me? I had to move house last year as my house wasn’t suitable for a wheelchair. I had to move into temporary accommodation in May and my new house in September. My ESA was stopped in September as I hadn’t reported that I moved. I was receiving esa support group income related due to severe chronic pain, I need lots of care. 

However had a mental breakdown due to the move didn’t update address with anyone. I have been living on dla, tax credits and credit cards during my depression but am now getting better with the help of my cpn. I’ve written to esa a few times since last September and heard nothing back. I’ve never received any letters regarding esa stopping. 

Can I get it reinstated at all? Is it possible to link the old claim? I supplied so much information previously that esa have but since moving house I can’t find any of my paperwork. 

Do I need to start again? I’ve no idea


  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,449 Disability Gamechanger
    @annekay, I would sujest you phone them using the freephone number, and ask the question you want answers to, forget writing as the time span to get a reply if one is sent is not worth the waiting. At least you should get answers as what is your best course of action to take. 
  • annekay
    annekay Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your reply. I should have mentioned I can’t us the telephone due to deafness and extreme anxiety 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @annekay, welcome to the community!

    I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences and what you've been through, especially as you've been having to cope with depression at the same time. I'm glad to hear that you have support in place and things are getting better.

    I found this information on the ESA page:

    If you find it difficult to use the telephone

    If you can’t hear or speak on the phone, you can use the Next Generation Text Service when you apply for ESA.

    You can also apply for contributory and income-related ESA using a British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service. You’ll need to:

    1. Check you can use the service.

    2. Go to the video relay service.

    The video relay service is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.