Ceiling track hoist — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ceiling track hoist

April
April Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
I have a ceiling track hoist for my adult son and daughter, and it needs a new handset. The hoist was bought via a disabled facilities grant, but who pays for the spare parts? I also pay for a service twice a year on three hoists. The costs mount up. 

Comments

• Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @April

As the hoist was provided via a DFG it might be worth speaking to the Community OT in the first instance. I think the response you will get will depend on factors like: how old is the hoist? (is it still under warranty?), is it still generally fit for your son and daughter's needs or should they be reassessed for something more modern? Did you agree to a contract that gave you liability to obtain a service/maintenance contract? 

If the local authority feel they have no liability they will probably suggest that this is the sort of expense that should be paid from your children's DLA/PIP. However, as you have pointed out there are a lot of other expenses that you have to meet so you may also wish to explore the possibility of applying for charitable funding: 

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/search-grants

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• April
    April Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    Thank you Jean. That was very helpful. I am very grateful that you took the time to explain that to me.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.