Finances and extra costs
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Am I entitled to free prescriptions?

billhogy2billhogy2 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited May 2018 in Finances and extra costs
I have lupus and have also been diagnosed with type2 I entitled to free prescriptions 


  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger

    You can get free NHS prescriptions if, at the time the prescription is dispensed, you:

    • are 60 or over
    • are under 16
    • are 16-18 and in full-time education
    • are pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months and have a valid maternity exemption certificate (MatEx)  
    • have a specified medical condition and have a valid medical exemption certificate (MedEx)
    • have a continuing physical disability that prevents you going out without help from another person and have a valid MedEx
    • hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disability
    • are an NHS inpatient

    You're also entitled to free prescriptions if you or your partner – including civil partner – receive, or you're under the age of 20 and the dependant of someone receiving:

    • Income Support
    • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit 
    • Universal Credit and meet the criteria 

    If you're entitled to or named on:

    • a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate – if you don't have a certificate, you can show your award notice; you qualify if you get Child Tax Credits, Working Tax Credits with a disability element (or both), and have income for tax credit purposes of £15,276 or less
    • a valid NHS certificate for full help with health costs (HC2)

    People named on an NHS certificate for partial help with health costs (HC3) may also get help.

     Find out more about the NHS Low Income Scheme (LIS).

    People with certain medical conditions can get free NHS prescriptions if:

    • they have one of the conditions listed below, and
    • they hold a valid medical exemption certificate

    Medical exemption certificates are issued on application to people who have:

    • a permanent fistula (for example, a caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) requiring continuous surgical dressing or requiring an appliance
    • a form of hypoadrenalism (for example, Addison's disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential
    • diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism
    • diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
    • hypoparathyroidism
    • myasthenia gravis
    • myxoedema (hypothyroidism requiring thyroid hormone replacement)
    • epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy
    • a continuing physical disability that means the person can't go out without the help of another person – temporary disabilities don't count, even if they last for several months

    They are also issued for people undergoing treatment for cancer:

    • including the effects of cancer, or
    • the effects of current or previous cancer treatment

    Read the medical exemption certificate FAQ.

    Read more about help with prescriptions here :)

    Senior online community officer
  • SugarCoatedSugarCoated Member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Type 2 diabetes entitles you to free prescriptions. I was told this when my husband was working and I needed expensive dressings after my surgery. 
  • mossycowmossycow Member Posts: 495 Pioneering
    Type II diabetes, yes. No probs you get a form from your doctor, send it off then get a card. 

    If you pay for prescriptions while waiting for the card you let the pharmacy know and you can get a refund. 

    Best of luck. 

    I know Ian very grateful for my free prescriptions. 

    "I'm trying to live like a random poem I read that ended 'to bloom where we are planted"

Sign in or join us to comment.