Suitable work with a severe startle reflex — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Suitable work with a severe startle reflex

Options
the_velvet_girl
the_velvet_girl Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
edited May 2018 in Work and employment
I currently work as an Allied Health Professional but I am struggling due to my startle reflex. If my phone rings or someone sneezes or shouts suddenly I can fall over. I am waiting to start a new job but it's in a similar environment. My boss has noticed how bad my startle reflex is and has made me non- clinical until I leave. 
I need to change profession. I need to work in a quiet environment or one with a low level of noise & limited sudden noises. I'd be happy to go back to college & do a non advanced course. I'd ideally like to be able to home work a few days a week due to fatigue & I can limit sudden noises at home but this isn't essential.
Has anyone got any suggestions as to what jobs might be suitable?

Comments

• Donisha_Scope
    Donisha_Scope Scope Posts: 36 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @the_velvet_girl

Thank you for your inquiry. 

Scope's Support to Work service is a good place to begin as it would enable you get advise from an experienced adviser.

They could assist you with identifying your skills and career goals before making possible suggestions. 

Our advisers also offer guidance with CV and cover letter writing, application support and interview practice. 

In terms of college courses, do you have any thoughts on courses you are interested in?

Kind regards,

Donisha 
    Donisha
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork
  • the_velvet_girl
    the_velvet_girl Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Options
    I'm considering an administration or computing course as I thought I might be able to work from home in these sectors. I am open to any suggestions though. How much does the Support to Work service cost?
  • Donisha_Scope
    Donisha_Scope Scope Posts: 36 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @the_velvet_girl

This sounds like a good route especially if you would like to do remote working. The Support to Work service is free of charge and is available to people living in England and Wales.

If you are interested in support from this digital employment service, you can fill out an online referral on www.scope.org.uk/support-to-work‎ or you can call for more information on 0300 222 5742.
    Donisha
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.