Alleged Overpayment of UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Alleged Overpayment of UC

Options
deband1980
deband1980 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I am new on here and care for my husband who has a serious heart condition and suffers from PTSD.

My question is that UC are claiming my husband was overpaid £1,650 in UC which we are disputing.

The problem that we are having is that a backdated payment in respect of an appeal we won was offset and used for this UC claim of an overpayment.

This was after a mandatory reconsideration was refused but now subject to an appeal which HMCTS have allowed out of time.

Debt management are telling me that they have the right to withhold that money pending the appeal which I feel is odd.

The DWP in my opinion have alleged an overpayment which and giving how the MR was considered and on what evidence they used in theory has created an unlawful debt.

I have ask the decision maker to sign the Reconsideration Report which she is refusing to sign.

Can the DWP who gave no notification about using that backdated payment hold on to this money until I prove the money was not owed to offset the debt in the first place.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Debbie x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.