The DWP does not know the answer to this..... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The DWP does not know the answer to this.....

Options
Laura99
Laura99 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
My partner gets PIP.

I have just been awarded PIP myself, after a Tribunal and a year's wait. (It was awful but worth it.)

I am already getting Carer's Allowance for him.

He has now applied for Carer's Allowance for me.

We are soon to receive back-dated PIP and back-dated Carer's Allowance.

Here is the question: My partner get income-related ESA. How will this change now that the two new benefits are payable to us?

By the way, I have spoken to no fewer than five people at the DWP. None of them know the answer.

I have also spoken to a Welfare Rights Advisor, who also doesn't know. (She actually thinks that we will now both get SDP, but I do not think this is correct - the websites I have visited make it clear that SDP is not paid when Carer's Allowance is in payment.)

I am interested to know from anyone if they DO know the answer to this. My partner is bewildered. As he says, we cannot be the only couple in the country getting PIP (both of us) and Carer's allowance (both of us) and IR - ESA (him).

What worries me is that the DWP might try to take some ESA away once the Carer's Allowance payable for me, to him, comes into being.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @laura99 Thank you for joining the forum.  Understand I do not know the answer to your question.

I am sure what you need to do is to speak one of our team who might offer  an answer.

Also I think the community might have a solution to your query.

Sorry I can not be more helpful.

Pleased to meet you.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Laura99

I hope that @BenefitsTrainingCo will post an answer to your question.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.