Will we be worse off if we claim carers allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will we be worse off if we claim carers allowance?

Options
Spw
Spw Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
My wife has been ill for a long time, I was looking to get back to work asap but her illness is permanent. If I start claiming carers allowance will we be worse off as we are a family unit?

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Spw and a warm welcome to the community. Very sorry to hear about your good lady.
    You need one of our benefits advisors to chat with you on this and they will, I am sure, get back to you as soon as possible. In the meanwhile please have a look at this resource on carer's allowance. You may well find some answers there and, if not, it may help you put together the best questions :smile:
    Very warmest best wishes,
    Richard
    @JennysDad
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    hey @Spw, I don't know your financial situation, however when I got carers allowance for my son I found we were exactly the same, as it is classed as an income our tax credits were adjusted for that. We dont have housing or council tax benefit so there was no change on that, my friend however, when claiming carers allowance had her money topped up with income support, although it was classed as an income for tax credits she found she got slightly more money.

If you go to the turn2us website they have a calculator to work out benefits on and should give you an idea of what you might be looking at. here is a link for you. https://www.turn2us.org.uk/

life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi @Spw

Welcome & Good Day my Friend.

We have got a “Benefit Calculator” here on our site.

Please please let me know if I can help you with this???

We have also got some “Benefit Advisors” on here & I be more than happy in passing your post onto them for you if that would be better?????

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Spw
    As others suggest, it would be good for you to try the benefits calculator to be able to check on your personal finances.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,994 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Spw said:
    My wife has been ill for a long time, I was looking to get back to work asap but her illness is permanent. If I start claiming carers allowance will we be worse off as we are a family unit?
    To be able to claim Carers Allowance your wife must first have an award of either Daily living PIP or mid/high rate care DLA.

If she has either of those and you care for her for 35 hours or more per week and you earn less than £120 per week, after deductions then yes you can claim it.
    See Carers Allowance criteria here.
    https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.