Do we get a disability premium? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do we get a disability premium?

Options
Laura99
Laura99 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
I am trying to get an answer from the DWP. Nobody there who I have spoken to seems to know what my husband and I are entitled to.

We both get PIP and Carer's Allowance for one another.

My husband gets IR ESA. The PIP awarded to me has not actually been paid yet, and neither has the Carer's Allowance which my husband has just claimed for me. I won a tribunal three weeks ago and my Care PIP was assessed at the Standard Rate. The award was from the date that I originally claimed, so almost exactly  one year.

The question I have is: Do we qualify for any Premiums now that we are both getting PIP? And how does this affect our payments? Does any money get deducted from the ESA now that my husband has claimed Carer's Allowance for me?

I cannot get a straight answer from the DWP. They keep signposting me to different departments. I have now asked six different people and they all say different things.

Can someone here help?

Comments

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Someone will pop on that can help.
    I am itching my head slightly, sorry, how you can both receive pip care and care for each other? 
    Not meaning to pry.

Not sure but I thought the sdp was taken off the person if they claimed a carers allowance. So you receive the allowance but your husband loses his sdp because of that- if he qualified. 
    If he qualified he should already have been getting it before he applied for CA?
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Laura99
    Options
    The SDP was taken away when I started to get Carer'sAllowance. It isn't unusual for two people to get PIP and Carer's Allowance for each other. 
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I would likely say no then, but worth checking. If you qualified for it, you lose it if someone gets a carers allowance for you.

It might alter the ESA money.

I can't get my head around how one person looks after someone for 35 hours a week, but that person also in turn looks after you for 35 hours a week.
    Wouldn't it be easier to use the premiums to pay someone to come in, or contact adult social services? 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you claim Carers Allowance for each other then no, you won't be able to claim the disability premium (SDP) To be able to claim this then you'll have to cancel the Carers Allowance claims. See link for SDP.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Severe-Disability-Premium/What-is-a-Severe-Disability-Premium

As stated in the link one of the qualifying rules is "no one claims Carers Allowance for you"

My advice to you would be to put all of your details into the a benefits calculator as if you're claiming the CA for each other, then again as if you're claiming the SDP. I'm 99% sure that claiming couples rate SDP will make you better of financially than claiming the CA for each other.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Laura99
    Options
    Thanks for that, Poppy.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.