Do I still get housing benefit and free dental treatment with ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Do I still get housing benefit and free dental treatment with ESA?

peachie Member Posts: 2 Listener
i wondered if anyone can clear something up for me, I currently receive CB ESA and am in support group. I’ve been put back on CB after my assessment before I was receiving a small amount of IR ESA. I’ve been advised that although they pay me CB I have an underlying entitlement to IR do I now still get full housing benefit and free dental treatment etc. Thanks in advance


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    Hi @peachie

    It says on the NHS website that you have to be claiming income based ESA rather that Contributions bases ESA to get free dental care.
    You're entitled to free NHS dental treatment if you or your spouse (including civil partner) receive:
    • Income Support
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
    On the benefits and work forum, regarding the housing benefit, someone has replied:

    Contribution Based (CB) ESA is classed as income for the purposes of working out your entitlement to HB, although you may still be entitled to some HB payments whilst in receipt of CB ESA.

    Being paid any amount of Income Related (IR) ESA, even a penny, automatically gives you your full HB entitlement.

    As it is your Council/Local Authority that administers HB you should visit their website for further details.

    Further generic information on HB can be found : Here. 

    We also have a post by @Rubydoo about ESA that might help?

    Have you tried using the benefits calculator?
    Senior online community officer
  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,447 Disability Gamechanger
    That's correct you just take your award  letter from DWP stating you are getting the Lancôme related ESA and you and your wife, partner get free dental treatment, I phoned the DWP for a written letter with my wife's details on also I got voucher for glasses two pairs for £10 instead of £70 .
  • peachie
    peachie Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Yes that’s what I thought but what does having a underlying entitlement to IR ESA mean I’m confused ? a while back they said you could be entitled to both but only paid one they’ve sent me a HC1 form to fill in 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.