Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Lost ESA - is this right?

elliepaigeelliepaige Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi .I was on Esa for cervical spondylosis and fibromyalgia , but as soon as i moved in with my fiance they took it away from me and told me to get a job or he has to support me .this seems unfair as i was clearly entitled to Esa for my conditions and now I'm being forced back to work .is this right ? 


  • BsyddBsydd Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi You need to see your Doctor.
    Or the Job centre.
  • JennysDadJennysDad Member Posts: 2,308 Pioneering
    Hello Ellie @elliepaige and a warm welcome to the community. Very glad you've found us. What you are describing certainly does not sound right or fair, but I'm no expert. I'm going to refer your post to those who are and, hopefully, someone will get back to you soon.
    Warmest best wishes
  • RipplesRipples Member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    Are you saying that you attended a WCA  and they declared you  fit for work and if so did you appeal this decision?  Or do you mean they have cut your benefit because your partner is working?
  • WaylayWaylay Member Posts: 922 Pioneering
    I believe that if you're living with a partner who works over a certain number of hours a week, you can't get ESA. Not certain, tho.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi elliepaige  and Waylay

    Yes, if your partner ie in this case your fiance is working 24 hours or more, there is no entitlement to income-based ESA. If you have contributory ESA, this can continue, but of course only for 52 weeks, unless you are in the support group. 

    If you live with a partner you can only get contributory ESA, and you have got to be in the support group to continue to get that, once you have had it for 52 weeks.

    I think that possibly it's mainly people who have had to claim ESA would know that. Most people assume that if you have paid contributions, you would continue to get a earnings replacement benefit indefinitely, if illness or disability prevent you from working . 


Sign in or join us to comment.