Rental income from lodger — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Rental income from lodger

Dave131313 Member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
I care for my mother in her own home. I have a spare bedroom in my house where I live. I would be a residential landlord and qualify under the rent a room scheme. How would this income be assessed in respect of my carers allowance. I currently work part time and my weekly earnings are £119 per week. 


  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    The Rent-A-Room Scheme is tax free up to £7500. Only if your total other income exceeds £11,850 would you pay tax on the CA.

    Taking in a lodger requires lots of research. I tried it but found the old prejudices came out when I said I was disabled even though it would not affect them.
  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,449 Disability Gamechanger
    Make sure your house insurance covers you for such happenings that could occur taking on a lodger, plus like when they can use kitchen, storage of food ect wifi usage heating ect .


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.