moving home — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

moving home

nick1970 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
I have had a social services assessment about my flat where I am and does anyone know what help is available financially to assist with the move I am on PIP and support esa  but know I will get a move soon as my flat is totally unsuitable for my needs i live in Kent  


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,674 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nick1970 welcome to the community.

    On a similar post, one of our helpline staff members suggested this:

    If you're currently in receipt of Housing Benefit you might be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment Lump Sum which can help with moving costs. 
    DHPs cannot be awarded towards council tax liability but can be used towards housing costs. Housing costs are broadly defined and can include costs such as deposits, rent in advance and other lump sums as well as meeting an ongoing shortfall. Check with your local authority about this payment if you're receiving housing benefit.

    If you're in receipt of means tested benefits a budgeting loan could help with some of the costs including the rent in advance.

    Your local council may also have a Local Welfare Provision scheme which you can apply to for help. Local Welfare Provision replaced Social Fund Crisis Loans and Community Care Grants in April 2013. Your local authority may have a scheme to assist you. 

    You can also search for grants on the turn2us grants database but it might not be easy to get a grant in place in time. There will also 

    I hope you're able to find some help in time for your move.
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.