DLA for eye sight loss? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

DLA for eye sight loss?

sueblou Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi everyone i am new on here so please treat me gently lolx


  • sueblou
    sueblou Member Posts: 2 Listener
    i had a stroke three years ago and it took my sight from my left eye and left me with short term memory loss i was already on d .l.a. so haver tried to claim for the eye sight loss as i was advised at the citizens advice
     that they might take away my d .l .a has any one on here got any ideas about this
    thanks for reading
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @sueblou and a warm welcome to the community. Good to have you with us.
    I'm not able to advise on benefits in detail but we have some excellent people here who are and who will get back to you as soon as they can.
    Bear with us, and keep in touch.
    Warmest best wishes,
    @JennysDad (on his way to bed :smile:)
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,845 Connected
    Bear with me. I am a WRO and I am also registered sight impaired. I will happily give you lots of detail but I'm currently on lunch and tonight I am at a gig and out very late. Will come back to you as soon as I can. 

    In the meantime, which components and rates of DLA are you getting? That would be a good start. I can say as an interim thing, that PIP is by and large much better for sight impairment than DLA but it varies with condition.

    Anyway, you may have to remind me tomorrow if you don't hear back from me immediately. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sueblou
    The RNIB have a PIP toolkit that might help you with your applications, you can find it here.

    If you need some one to one support, you can call the helpline on 0808 800 3333

    Good luck and let us know if we can help further :)
    Senior online community officer


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.