esa uc — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

esa uc

geosme Member Posts: 13 Listener
Im on esa and pip moved to sheltered flat 9 April 18 different area to my horror it's full uc .in support group no WRA read uc reg19 I know I should go into same group of uc. migration states if I claim rent it's new claim possible losing money family have paid rent since move .my claim jobcentre is going uc. September 18 if I wait and they !! Put me on uc . I could claim rent it would not be new claim no loss of money. They know I've moved  i have lympedeama in leg due to cancer and lymphatic node removall. Won last tribunal with recommendaction not to be assessed again. ..I'm scared to claim uc 


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    If you have moved into a new local authority area and it is 'full service' then you can't claim Housing Benefit unless you are in supported accommodation. You say that your flat is 'sheltered', so I'm hoping that means that there is some element of support which you pay for as part of your rent, something more than just the provision of accommodation. 

    I'd recommend that you contact your new local authority and ask them if you can claim Housing Benefit because you are in supported accommodation (which is not covered by UC). There's nothing about the new HB claim which will affect your existing benefits - they can all continue.

    We don't know how long supported accommodation will be covered by Housing Benefit and not UC but it looks like it could be quite a long time, so I think you may be ok for now. If you want support or further advice with this maybe try Citizens Advice or a disability information service in your new area.

    If you do claim HB you could even consider asking for up to one month's backdating (explain that your reason for a late claim is because you are scared of UC). But basically as long as your new flat comes under the definition of supported accommodation (one of the types of 'specified' accommodation in UC), then I think you can avoid UC for now and instead make a new claim for Housing Benefit. Ask your new council first to be sure.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • geosme
    geosme Member Posts: 13 Listener
    Will thank you... legislation says care support or supervision I have a warden she checks with me mornings I have a call alarm is that enough ? warden says it's classed as supported housing  in think I'm okay thank you! !
  • mehrfarbig
    mehrfarbig Member Posts: 33 Connected
    Best bet is contact council and ask them what is classed as supported accommodation.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.