Question about benefit entitlement — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question about benefit entitlement

sparrow91
sparrow91 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello everyone. My mum is disabled and currently receives PIP as well as Widows benefit and income support.
Weekly she gets:
80.74 Widows Benefit
25.91 Income Support

and 466.74 monthly for PIP.

She also receives housing benefit which is paid directly to the landlord.

My question is could she claim ESA and would it leave her better or worse off? It's very confusing, I understand she might lose some benefits if she does so, so i'm wondering if it's worth it.  She lives in a 3 bedroom counsel house with no savings.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    What's the reason she's claiming Income support? Is it because she's a Carer or does she have a child under 5?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sparrow91

We have a benefits calculator here that is a good starting point to figuring out what support your mum may be entitled to
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • sparrow91
    edited May 2018
    Hi,
    What's the reason she's claiming Income support? Is it because she's a Carer or does she have a child under 5?

Hi. I've looked at her latest income support letter and it doesn't specifically say. She's not a carer and all her kids are adults.

It says something like, the law says you need to live on £106
    then they add 20 something income support to the 81 widows benefit to make it add up to 106. It's like a top up.

Part of the 106 is made up of some money because "you are sick or disabled", which confuses me because she is not on ESA.
  • sparrow91
    I see. Thank you for the clarification. I appreciate everyone's help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello sparrow91

Please note that Universal Credit is replacing some benefits including income related ESA,  Income Support and Housing Benefit.  The roll out of this benefit is by postcode and so different areas will be affected at different times. I have put a link to a webtool below, if you enter your postcode it will tell you on making a new claim for benefit whether you HAVE TO claim Universal Credit.

https://universalcreditinfo.net/

Universal credit is significantly different to e.g. Income Support, Housing Benefit in terms of the rate of pay, how frequently payments are made and who payments go to.

If you are at all unsure contact a local advice centre for help. 

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.