Adult daughter has JME epilepsy which has seriously deteriorated, finding it hard — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Adult daughter has JME epilepsy which has seriously deteriorated, finding it hard

Options
FionaA
FionaA Community member Posts: 15 Connected
I am the sole parent of an adult daughter with JME elipepsy. It started when she was 16 ish but she managed to complete school and University and running a business. In the last 18 months or so she has seriously deteriorated and can no longer work. We have done the consultant thing and he is great but there is nothing more that medication can do. So her hopes, aspirations and dreams have all been shattered and my smart and talented girl can't even cope with a job in a tea room for a few hours a day. Her fits are changing and increasing and I have moved to be nearer her when she needs me. Even her daily living is now chaotic but she tries so very hard it would break your heart. Does anyone out there have anything similar going on. At 61 I am now struggling with the knowledge that I will probably outlive her. The videos were great and I watched them but she is not a child and I have to help without being in charge any more and somehow manage my own emotions. 

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @FionaA and a warm welcome to the community. I am glad you have found us, but very sorry to read of what you and your daughter are going through. I, too, have lived with that conviction that I would outlive my child, and it's no fun, is it? I'm here if it would help to chat, to rant or anything else.
    There is every chance that among our wide membership you will find others in a similar position and, hopefully, they too will get back to you.
    Can I ask what the videos were to which you refer?
    Do keep in touch and, as i said, I'm here and would be honoured to get to know you better.
    Warmest best wishes to you
    Richard
    @JennysDad

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.