Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Told that I could apply for carers allowance for myself

Nichola0402Nichola0402 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2018 in Carer's allowance
Carers allowance and pip daily living, I received a message from the esa asking me to get intouch ASAP, took 3 days and I finally got through, I was told because no one was getting carers allowance for me I could apply myself, they filled a form in for me still waiting to hear back, 


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    You can't claim Carers Allowance for yourself, it's totally impossible!

    You're thinking of a totally difference benefit called Severe Disability Premium (SDP) This is paid on top of your ESA and the criteria for this is you must live alone (no other adults living with you) no one claim carers allowance for looking after you and you claim PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care. SDP single person amount is £64.30 per week extra on your ESA.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

    Poppy is right, this isn't carer's allowance. It's because no one is caring carer's allowance for you, and assuming you live alone & get PIP daily living, your income-related ESA should include something called the severe disability premium (SDP).

    When you hear back from the DWP, bear in mind that you might have been entitled to this extra money for a long time, and the DWP have always had this info (they knew what benefit you were on & that no one was getting carer's allowance). So do make sure you get any backdating (arrears) of the extra for the time you've been on irESA & getting PIP daily living (or DLA middle/higher rate care).

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.