How long after face to face should I hear back about Universal Credit? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

How long after face to face should I hear back about Universal Credit?

lennon1972 Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi new to the group


  • lennon1972
    lennon1972 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Just a quick question after a f2f about what group you should be placed in for disability element of uc (if any) how long can it take to hear back or is there no limit thanks
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lennon1972. I don't have any knowledge on this subject, I'm afraid, but just wanted to bid you welcome to the community and acknowledge that your post has been received. We do have both experts and experienced members here who will get to you as soon as they can. Bear with us, and stay in touch.
    Warmest best wishes,
  • lennon1972
    lennon1972 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks richard
  • peterpete
    peterpete Member Posts: 37 Courageous
    Be very clever try to get a early payment also apply for a budget loan asap it will help you greatly
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    If you are talking about the work capability assessment carried about by Maximus on behalf of the DWP, then it shouldn't be too long. It's usually within 2 weeks of your medical, though it can be longer.

    I'm assuming that you are already on Universal Credit and getting the standard allowance and anything else you are entitled to, but just not getting any limited capability for work element. If you have only just started on UC, then as Peterpete says, you might want to ask for a short-term advance, but you do have to pay these back so it will reduce your future benefit.

    The point of the face to face medical is:

     - to decide what you have to do to get your UC. If you have limited capability for work, you don't have to look for jobs but you may have to go to work-focused interviews and take part in work preparation activity. If you fail the assessment, you have to look for work, although you may still be able to negotiate about your hours & the type of job. If you have limited capability for work-related activity, you don't have to do anything, just keep UC informed of changes of circumstances

     - to decide whether you get anything extra. Assuming you didn't have limited capability for work before (for example, in an ESA claim), then unfortunately you only get extra money if you have limited capability for work-related activity (LCWRA). That is called the LCWRA element.

    There are no adult disability elements of UC apart from the LCWRA element (and for people who had limited capability for work before 3rd April 2017, the limited capability for work element).

    Hope this helps, and hope you get a decision soon!

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.