Hi,Hello and yo!!!!!! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi,Hello and yo!!!!!!

Brett_Babs
Brett_Babs Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all....
Firstly let me say hello to all from myself and my wife Babs..
We live in Runcorn in Cheshire and are happily married for over 20 years and 1 daughter now aged 17 and doing her A levels.
We have been through tons of health issues myself (spinal issues *3, battled high grade severe aggressive lymphoma,fork llift accident,then a near fatal allergic reaction to both types of anesthetics..!!
Now it's my wife's turn for problems Inc severe asthma,chronic pain in all joints and muscles, severe rynauds syndrome and just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia ( scored 18 out of 18).
Now we are having to apply for carers and PiP.
Any help would be a massive help...
Thanks all and Hi again,
Talk soon,
Brett & Babs.

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi Brett and Babs!

Welcome to the community, great to meet you!

We have lots of people here that have been through the PIP process, so can share their experiences.

We have a special category for posts about PIP and one about carers allowance. We also have lots of great information on the website.

I hope we can help you through the process. What stage of applying are you at?
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Hi there! I'd second Alex above at looking at those links.. 

Lovely introduction! Sorry to hear you've had so much **** on but you sound like you guys are well, doing pretty awesome. 

I'm not an expert, but I'd like to mention some PIP stuff. Yes, it can be hard and time consuming but don't let it get you down. There is help, money and support out there are you are entitled to it. I've just gone through assessment and it was a much better process than 4 years ago. Not perfect but better. 

These would be my tips (in bullet points so I don't babble on...) 

- do call to apply for PIP as soon as possible as how ever long it takes they back date payments etc from the date you call. 

- do get help, but at the same time don't feel its something you have to research to death. Just fill in forms truthfully, and as if it is your worst day. This is not the time for bracer or stoicism, tell them how hard it is. 

- remember that being able tk do something means doing it without pain, being able to do it repeatedly and in reasonable time. So e. G. If you can cook a meal.... But it takes all day, is painful and there's no way you could do it again... That means you can't do it by their own definition. 

- call pip helpline if you're not sure. Get it from the horses mouth, write down time you called, name of person you speak to etc. 

-if you have a computer you can type it. I do as hand writing is painful but I also found its much easier to collect thoughts, edit it and add to it later etc. Also! I'm now hoping that next time I do assessment I can copy things like my long list of medication etc. 

- get forms in on time... But if you can't give them a call and there will give you more time. They are actually lovely people I have found. When ever you get it in, the back pay will be from when you first called up. 

- if you handwrite form, take photo copies or take pictures of it with phone or camera. 

- then post and  try and forget about it!

- they send texts when they've received it.... And when they've made decision. 

- then you get letter to tell you their decision  

THIS IS NOT GAME Over! 

It is most likely you'll get the right and fair decision. But if not do get help and alleap right away. My appeals are successful than not. 

It is stressful but hopefully will be worth it. The money really helps and its a benefit that opens the way to other things that make life easier. 

I use motobility because of my higher mobility pip. It has meant I can have access to a power chair which has changed our lives.

There are lots of bad stories about pip. I avoided them while I was in the middle of it. I want to give support but when Im trying to look forward and think for the best I found it hard to read horror stories. They are true.. But there are also positives too xx
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, Brett and Babs @Brett_Babs. Good to have you with us.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
    @JennysDad

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.