Getting bullied at the pub — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Getting bullied at the pub

Alex
Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering

Hi,

Someone has been in touch with us over email asking for help.

He’s almost 60 and has some memory issues and a limp. He enjoys going to his local pub to mix with people but some of the people there call him names and take the mick out of him.

He’s asked them to stop, but they won’t.

He’d love to know if anyone has any advice on how he can deal with this.

Thanks,

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Here we go again.
    Why should he leave.
    If he were black..Jewish. gay anything other than disabled the police would have arrsted them.
    Hate crime against disabled people should be treated the same as other hate crime 
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • hartill77
    hartill77 Community member Posts: 97 Courageous
    Hi @Alex
    If he goes there often and knows the staff/manager ask them to have a word with the customers.
    Maybe change the time of day he goes. 
    Or as @Victoriad said choose another place to go. 

Charlene
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    The bully’s doing this will more than likely keep doing it as they know how distressing it is making this man, bullying is wrong no matter who, where, when.
    I would definitely not put myself in that situation and as @Victoriad and @hartill77 say drink somewhere else.
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    It's a pub ! Sooner or later it will turn to violence !

Protect yourself first, which means finding somewhere else sadly. Bullying has a snowball effect where others will join just so it's never them on the receiving end.

No manager will bar a dozen high spending p*** heads in order to do the "right thing."

"Discretion is the better part of valour"
    "Never pick a fight unless you know you can win."
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 43 Listener
    Go to another pub or join a private club but they are very clique to be honest.  

If he is new and they are regulars landlord won't do much. 

• sunflower
    sunflower Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Does he have someone who can go along, a neighbour or relative. Have a word with the manager. He's already asked them to stop but they keep on doing it, I wonder what the manager's response would be. It's got to be worth a go. 
    Also depends if it's that particular pub, or those particular people he likes. Whichever one it is, if after having a word doesn't work, maybe finding some kinder people to mix with is the answer.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 43 Listener
    Just go to new and pub otherwise reporting to manager could stir up trouble. If it's a Weatherspoons pub then that says it all. I'm barred from one.  :)
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    I've just heard back from the person with the question - they are going to implement a couple of these ideas to see if it improves.

He would like to thank everyone who left a comment.
  • sunflower
    sunflower Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    It's a tricky one, hope he finds a wsy forward.
  • ojwen
    ojwen Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I wish I lived near to you! My local accepts anyone with disability OR MENTAL PROBLEMS !! I LIVE IN A village .sorry caps lock on ! } I don't go out on my own at night cos female !! I could do with a companion here ,only moved here 2 years ago .I also suffer from panic attacks so sometimes takes a lot of courage to even leave the house!! These have become worse and more regular since I became disabled ! I feel very vunerable! If you need a chat am at home most of the time unless my internet goes of which is normal with extreme weather if you live in a village !! Don't become a recluse !! x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.