Employment and careers
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

New to this

WaffelWaffel Member Posts: 3 Listener
I've suffered from lower back pain for more than 30 years. I have two protruding discs in the lower 4th and 5th discs. I have managed to keep working with occasional time off work, some periods more than 6 months. Over the last 8 - 10 years things have gotten progressively worse. I now struggle to keep working as my ability to work any distance is impaired by pain. My Dr just seems to give me more tablets to control the pain. I'm at the point where nothing works anymore. 
It's changed the person who I am as I can no longer participate in activities and family holidays due to my mobility. Work are not very helpful even though I work for the NHS. Management have terminated other staff on health grounds. I just can't seem to find anyone who is willing to listen or help. As for being depressed, although I hate to admit it I probably am.
Any idea where to go from here as I haven't got a clue


  • mwila_scopemwila_scope Scope Support to Work service Posts: 52 Pioneering
    Hi @Waffel
    Many thanks for your question and welcome to the online community!
    sorry to hear that your lower back problems have been affecting your ability to participate in activities that you used to carry out before. and obviously as you mentioned this can have an adverse effect on your mental state of mind.

    Scope have a brand new digital employment service called Support to Work- which you might find useful.
    Support to Work offers tailored support and advice to disabled people who are seeking employment.  If eligible for the service you will be assigned to an experienced employment adviser who will work with you to explore your employability skills and work with you to explore alternatives such as opportunities to work from work.
    if you would like to find out more about the service or register your interest you can do so HERE; alternatively you can contact us on 0300 222 5742 or email [email protected]
    Hope that helps and we look forward to hearing from you

    If you currently have an issue with your employer in terms of reasonable adjustments or any other employer-employee relation issues, i would suggest you get in contact with ACAS.
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: [email protected]
  • WaffelWaffel Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you mwila, I will look at both. I'm currently working and have made several suggestions to management. I'm not registered as disabled, and wouldn't know how to follow that route. But I've gone around and around in circles with everything over the last few years.. probably 20 years + 
    Thanks again
Sign in or join us to comment.