Would we qualify for a electric scooter from the NHS? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Would we qualify for a electric scooter from the NHS?

sheldonbilly1A Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello 👋 My husband had a stroke 8 years ago, he is paralysed down his left side , at the moment I have to push him in a manual wheelchair, I suffer from siatica and sometimes struggle to push him, would we qualify for a electric scooter from the NHS ? 


  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 2,928

    Scope community team

    Welcome to Scope's community! It's great to have you here.  Just to get you started we have a How To Guide here, you can see all the latest posts here, jump in and get involved and don't worry we are a friendly bunch!  
    If you need anything, just let us know. 

    Here is some information that might help.

    Another option might be seeking charitable funding. Scope is not a grant giving organisation there is a grant search tool that you can find on the Scope website at: 

    it may help you to identify grant giving organisations that you could apply to for funding. 

    One organisation that I have know some people get support from is: 



    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • Alex
    Alex Scope Posts: 1,307 Pioneering
    Hi  @sheldonbilly1A

    Welcome to the community. We've got some info about NHS wheelchair services on our website.

    Hope that helps.
  • mehrfarbig
    mehrfarbig Member Posts: 33 Connected
    From my understanding most do not provide mobility scooters. My area for example only provide powered wheelchairs for full time use.
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @sheldonbilly1A

    Unfortunately, I think it is highly unlikely that your husband will be able to get a scooter via the NHS.

    Each NHS Wheelchair clinic has some discretion over their allocation criteria so provision does vary from one area to another. However, generally speaking NHS wheelchair clinics do not provide scooters, instead addressing those that needs powered mobility assistance with an electric wheelchair or an electric powerpack fitted to a manual chair. They will not normally provide an electric wheelchair unless it is needed for both indoor and outdoor use.

    Others have already given you some good links to explore alternative possibilities for obtaining a scooter yourselves and if you decide to go down that route you may find this DLF factsheet of interest: https://www.dlf.org.uk/factsheets/scooter

    I get the impression from your original post that your husband currently uses a standard manual wheelchair that you have to push because he is unable to self propel due to his left hand side hemiplegia resulting from the stroke. For the stake of a comprehensive response I wanted to mention that it is also possible to obtain manual wheelchairs that can be propelled be a disabled person using only one hand  (see: https://mobilitybasics.ca/wheelchairs/onearmdrives for an overview ) An appropriate manual chair can sometimes have advantages over a powerchair for some people, such as helping to maintain fitness and being easier to transport. Obviously I have no idea if this would be a suitable or viable option for your husband but I wanted to mention it just in case.

    So in summary even through the NHS wheelchair clinic is unlikely to be able to supply a scooter it would be wise to ask your GP for a referral there to see if there is any other way they can assist you and your husband.

    Best Wishes

    Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

    You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering

    Best bet is the motability trust, they provide grants.

    I would also contact the Stroke Unit, where your husband was treated, ask for the OT.

    Most councils have, scooter schemes for town centre shopping, usual modest annual fee.

    Check if there is a local stroke club near you, they might know charities that might help.

    Keep us informed.

    Best wishes