Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi all,

What happens if we opt to stay contributions based esa, is this possible or will we have to apply for income related esa. My partner is long term disabled


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    CB ESA is paid for 365 days, unless placed into the Support Group where it's paid as long as you remain in the that group.

    Is it your partner that claims ESA? if so which group is he in? Do you work? or is it a joint claim?

    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi JennyStevenson,

    Income-related ESA is a top up to contribution based ESA so you could be entitled to either or both depending on your previous work history, and as poppy123456 says, which group you are in for ESA. If the partner works it is unlikely that income-related ESA will be payable, so if a claimant is in WRAG they'll only get ESA C for 365 days and then nothing from then on if the partner is working. If you are able to give us a bit more specific information about your circumstances we will be able to advise you better.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.