If I sign off of Universal Credit, will I still get help with my rent? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

If I sign off of Universal Credit, will I still get help with my rent?

Woe2018 Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
I have a question about Universal Credit; I currently receive full PIP & UC....I don't really want a job as I have worked for 28 years and last year I had my left leg amputated; but the DWP/Jobcentre keep pestering me to attend & I am unable to get a long term 'fit note' the most I've ever had is 3 months - If I sign off UC would they still have to pay my rent (like they do now?)...I appreciate that this would cost me money but it may be the only solution - or does someone else have any ideas??  All feedback/advice welcome...thanks!!


  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Woe2018 and welcome to the community. I don't know the answer to you question, I'm afraid, but I'm going to refer your post to someone who might be able to help.
    Best wishes to you
  • Woe2018
    Woe2018 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Many thanks, I think I might have got a bit closer to the answer this afternoon...after spending quite a bit of time looking online again...I got in an online chat with the 'moneyadvice' website...run by HM Gov....after checking they don't pass on details to DWP....I explained my circumstances as best I could and the guy eventually said something along the lines of....'If you sign-off Universal Credit - there is no legal obligation for DWP to pay your rent'...he kept wittering on about 'assessments'....not sure why....

    Anyway yeah, any advice is appreciated 'JennysDad'
    Ian Roe
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Search google for nil income... Also contact you Local authority and they will advise you too.

    If you're not getting Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or the guarantee credit of Pension Credit, Housing Benefit may cover all or part of your rent. The amount of Housing Benefit you get will depend on your income and capital (if you get the savings credit of Pension Credit, the local authority will use the same figures as the Pension Service to calculate your Housing Benefit). The income you can have before it reduces your Housing Benefit depends on your circumstances, for example, your age, whether you have a partner or children, or whether you are disabled or care for a disabled person. There are also certain types of income that are ignored when working out how much housing benefit you should get, for example child maintenance.
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

    You can see the video here.

  • Woe2018
    Woe2018 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited June 2018
    I think I am beginning to 'see the wood for the trees' so to speak...clearly they take money off for Bedroom Tax (coz they think I'll need a carer in future), so yeah it might be Housing Benefit LESS Bedroom Tax....which isn't really doable money wise & if, in the future they decide I get too much 'help' with PIP then I am ******.
    Thanks for taking the time out to reply don't know why I didn't think about it in that level of detail messen….old fart in Yorkshire...signing off !


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.