Hi, my name is auntySue! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is auntySue!

auntySue
auntySue Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have had spinal stenosis for 14 years. Finally thought I'd get around to joining a group! Hello everyone! I have an appt coming up soon regarding surgery on my spine. I had surgery 10 years ago, an X stop procedure which is no longer done. It made a difference and was quite low risk as it didnt involve going near my spinal chord. I am now unsure weather to accept surgery again as I'm sure it will be higher risk. Does anyone else care to share their experience of this so I can make a more informed decision? Thank you ?

Comments

• Tarnia
    Tarnia Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Hello @auntySue.
    A very warm welcome. I hope today has been kind to you.
    I can really relate to your pain and the uncertainty of undergoing surgery.
     In 25 years I have had 4 discs, half removed. Countless procedures, injections, therapy's... and meditations...
     As things stand now according to the last MRI which was just the other month, I have 2 bulging discs in lumbar, S1 nerve damage, 4 bulging discs in thoracic, arthritis,  and muscle tissue damage. Plus something in the cervical spine, but I had switched off from all big words for diagnosis...
    (they all sound like dinosaur names to me?).
    Anyway, I hadn't realised until about 3/4 years ago, the impact it has all had on my mental health... and that is my biggest struggle right now.
    Up until the past few months, I run away from it all... well as much as I could... 
    Now I am a little more together, but still petrified of taking ANY medication for anything. Im struggling with the idea of any procedures. I'm certainly never going under the knife again. I feel like what ever they do, even if it fixes you for a short while, it posses problems somewhere else...
    However, please don't consider any of these opinions when considering what's best for you...
    Back pain effects the whole body. It's invisible, unpredictable and very misunderstood.
    I'm here for a chat.
    I wish you a good night.
    Kindness always ???
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @auntySue and a warm welcome to the community. Good to have you with us.
    I think you'll find quite a lot of members who can relate to what you are going through and some will be in touch as your post filters through to them. It might be worth having a look at the Dealing with chronic pain thread, since I am sure there will be many conversations there about spinal problems.
    Whatever happens, please stay in touch and don't hesitate to tell us or ask us anything.
    Warmest best wishes,
    @JennysDad

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.