Pension, disability income guarantee, and ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pension, disability income guarantee, and ESA

Options
sionyn28
sionyn28 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hia all can you tell me please if my husbands state pension and private pension would count if i get paid contributary E S A .
I know it counts for IB ESA
Also do you get " Extra Money because of the Disability Income Guarantee " when you get  ( C ) E S A 

Comments

• gnmeads
    gnmeads Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi sionyn28 Welcome to the Scope community. 
    As for your first question I would say, yes your husbands pension would affect your claim for ESA, if that is what your asking? Just to confirm this click on this link to ask the experts:https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/benefits-and-finances

Your second question should be answered with the same link. 
    Please get back to us if you still have problems. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    sionyn28 said:
    Hia all can you tell me please if my husbands state pension and private pension would count if i get paid contributary E S A .
    I know it counts for IB ESA
    Also do you get " Extra Money because of the Disability Income Guarantee " when you get  ( C ) E S A 
    CB ESA isn't means tested so your husbands pension wouldn't affect it. Also no premiums are paid on top on CB ESA and the disability income guarantee is another name for Enhanced disability premium, so the answer is no.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sionyn28
    Options

Hia Poppy 123456

Thanks for reply and you were correct had letter fron D W P that ( C ) E S A is basic 73.10 plus 37 65 no other additions

Thanks

Sionyn28

• sionyn28
    Options

Thank gnmeads

E S A ( C ) is not means tested but E S A (I R ) is

so sorted re question

Thanks

Sionyn28

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hang on folks!

If you had a state pension yourself, @sionyn28,  then you wouldn't have contributory ESA. (One is for people who have reached pension age, the other for working age people).

If you had an occupational pension yourself, then it would affect your contributory ESA , if it were more than £85 per week. 

But your husband's state pension and occupational pension won't affect your contributory ESA.

And your contributory ESA won't affect his sate penson nor his occupational pension. 

Your contributory ESA would be taken into account as an income source if he claimed pension credit for you and him. Pension credit is an income-related benefit for people of state pension age, and most income types are taken into account in its calculation. 

Does that help?!

Gill_Scope
    Scope Helpline
    Tel: 0808 800 3333

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.