Feeling really low — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Feeling really low

I can’t even describe how I’m feeling right now, probably as low as I’ve ever felt. I just had a phone call from DWP re ESA assessment & awarded no points. Stopped from today. I’m now worried sick my pip will be stopped & have no income. What do I do, I’m in such a state, life is just not worth living anymore .


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,364 Disability Gamechanger

    Firstly your PIP won't stop because they're different benefits.

    As for your ESA your next step is to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you have 28 days to request this by writing a letter, stating what you disagree with and which group you think you should be in and why. You'll need evidence to support your claim, they rarely contact anyone for this. You nay want to ring your local CAB who will help you through the process.

    As for money to replace the ESA money that has now stopped. Firstly you'll need to check if your area is a full universal credit area, if it is then it's this you'll have to claim and not JSA. If you claim UC then you won't be able to go back onto ESA.

    If UC isn't in your area then you can claim JSA with an extended 13 week period of sickness, with a fit/sick note.

    If you claim housing benefit this will now stop because your ESA has stopped. You'll need to contact your local council Monday and ask for a nil income form, this will allow your housing benefit to continue while you have no income.

    It's a lot to take in but your local CAB should guide you through the process if you contact them. Good luck.

  • Teddylo
    Teddylo Member Posts: 23 Listener
    Thank you for your kind reply & the valuable information. I'm desperately worried as I own my home. I assume my council tax reduction will also stop & I'm already paying arrears & don't want to risk repossession. My area is now universal credit so I may have  to just apply for that to make ends meet. I have requested my health professionals report & will contact cab tomorrow morning. I just feel so ill as many other people do at being thrown head first into a mess. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,364 Disability Gamechanger
    What you should do is take a look at both the descriptors for each of the groups for ESA, WRAG and Support Group and decide if any which one you think you should be in. When you speak to CAB tomorrow, ask for further advice regarding this. Claiming UC may not be the best thing at this stage. It maybe better to request the MR, apply for JSA with a fit note for the extended 13 weeks sickness.

    Expect the MR decision to remain the same as most do. It's Tribunal after that and once they accept your appeal you'll be able to go back onto assessment rate for ESA, providing this is the first time you've been found fit for work.

    A UC claim takes 5-6 weeks for first payment, the MR maybe quicker but as i said speak to CAB about this tomorrow and they will hopefully advise you further.

    You can claim council tax reduction with nil income so contact your local council for this. If you're behind with your mortgage and have further difficulties with paying this, then please contact your mortgage provider who will be able to help, i'm sure.

    Good luck.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh I'm so sorry to hear this, @Teddylo

    You are a member of our community and we appreciate you. If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at [email protected]. You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself.

    You've had some brilliant advice from Poppy already, but please do keep us updated and if there's anything we can assist with, just let us know. You may also find it helpful to have a read through Scope's guidance on appealing DWP decisions.

  • Teddylo
    Teddylo Member Posts: 23 Listener
    Thank you for the replies and information. I intend to fight this and after receiving my DwP letter with 0 points today and also claiming extended walking distance which now puts my Pip in jeopardy. I have an appointment with my council advice shop tomorrow to discuss everything. So I hope I can get through this. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.