Can my husband come onto my ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can my husband come onto my ESA?

wendie Member Posts: 1 Listener
hi i was just wondering im on esa  and i want to claim for my husband to come on t my esa  can i do that


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @wendie   Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Understand I am not sure of the answer.

    One of our community will know or a member of our team.

    I just wanted to welcome you. As a member of our community.

    Have a  look at benefits advice and information if that helps.

    We are a supportive community..

    Hope you find the answer to your question.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,838 Connected
    What is your husband doing at present? What’s his income at present?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wendie and welcome to the community!

    Here is some information about who is entitled to receive ESA:

    What is Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) and who is eligible?

    ESA is a benefit which you can receive if your ability to work is limited by disability or poor health. It's intended to provide you with financial support if you are unable to work.

    To be eligible for ESA you must be under state pension age, have an illness or condition that prevents or impairs your ability to work, and you must not be in receipt of Statutory Sick Pay (SSP), Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) or Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA).


    If you feel your husband meets this criteria then you may want to look into applying. If you would like support on this then there are lots of people in the community who would know what to do!

  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi Wendie

    This is one of those "It depends where you live".  Contributory ESA is paid at a single person rate - there's no extra money for a partner, so I must assume that you are intending to put your husband onto your income-related ESA claim. 

    Firstly, and if you haven't already got income-related ESA, you need to  check whether you are in a full service universal credit area or not.  You can do this at

    Alternatively, you could check which benefit to claim by doing a benefit check, for example the one on the Scope website.  This will tell you what benefits are available to you. You'll need to know the amount of your full rent if applicable, council tax bill or mortgage, and the amounts of any income that you already have. Your postcode's needed too. If you pay private rent, you need to be aware what the local housing allowance is  in your area (this is on the local authority's website, though you can find this out as part of the assessment as well.)

    Please be aware that if your husband goes onto your income-related ESA claim, he won't be getting his national insurance credits paid towards his eventual state pension. With universal credit, this isn't an Issue, I don't think, because both parties sign the claimant commitment and both have either to seek work or be not well enough to work (or they are carers or looking after young children). 

    I hope this helps. Do get back in touch if not!

    Benefts and Finance SpeilistScope Helpline
    Tel: 0808 800 3333


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.