Basic Wheelchair skills — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Basic Wheelchair skills

B1nkyb00
B1nkyb00 Community member Posts: 45 Connected
https://youtu.be/xcwG1pgtF-4
I found this online, some basic wheelchair skills, I know not everyone has access or qualifies for OT or physiotherapists appointments. So this may be of help to some people. 

Comments

• Amskidoodles
    Amskidoodles Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    Hello,
    I am interested in design work related to adaptations of wheelchairs-
    What are the problems you most commonly face?
    Which products have helped you the most in the past?
    What type of product would you most like to see more of on the market?
    Your feedback would be greatly appreciated and would really help me to design something to help - even just a little!
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hi Amskidoodles, just found you. The biggest problem for me is badly maintained pavements and cars parked on them. I'm thinking of using a scooter but a little put off due to what I've just written. For me it's my waterproof all over cover simple but great ?. Prettier waterproof covers, it's back to pride and choice when going out the same as choosing a raincoat. I really hope this helps. It's basic answers but it affects my life. Good luck and all the best hope you do really well?
  • Amskidoodles
    @Gwendoline1 Thank you so much for your feedback, it's really helpful for me to get as many points as possible. Do you ever struggle in terms of storage in your wheelchair? One of my ideas was to make a tray - adaptable enough to fit onto any armrest - that could serve as a place to write, store your phone, hold a drink... Do you think there is a market for this and what would you like to see in this product?
    Thanks again, Amskidoodles :smiley:

• Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hi Amskidoodles, yes I'd say that's a really good idea. Just an idea why don't you go to a shopping centre and ask the wheelchair users there. Since I started using a wheelchair so many people speak to my husband ( due to him pushing me ) and completely ignore me ?. You may find some people don't want to take part but I'm sure a lot will. It may help it may not. The very best of luck hope you do really well in your adventure ?
  • Amskidoodles
    @Gwendoline1 Thank you so much for your help, you’ve given some really great advice. If you ever think of anything else I am eager to hear. Thanks again, Amskidoodles

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.