Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Do I have to pay rent if my carer receives Carers Allowance?

joloujolou Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2018 in Carer's allowance
Hi can anyone advise me please I receive pip and recently my carer as applied for ca since I’ve been told that I would have to pay rent and ct if she receives this ? Is this true? Thanks

Replies

• markyboymarkyboy Member Posts: 368 Pioneering
    Yes if you are both claiming housing benefit and council tax reduction as a joint claim your carers allowance is classed as income so you could end up receiving less housing benefit and be liable for more council tax
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,605 Disability Gamechanger
    What’s being alluded to here is the SDP, which would be part of your means-tested benefits if you lived alone and got PIP DL. Getting those means-tested benefits triggers help with 100% of your eligible rent and CT (not the same as 100%). 

If you get SDP then a carer claiming CA will lose you the SDP. That may or not mean you lose the means-tested benefit. Depends on how much you’re currently getting. If you lose the means-tested benefit as a result of losing SDP you will still get some help with HB and CTR but no longer 100% of the eligible amounts.
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @jolou! I hope the above answers your questions- if we can be of any further assistance, do let us know.
Sign in or join us to comment.