Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Swapped from Tax Credits to Universal Credit, help?

jacksmam Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi thanks for the add. I was claiming tax credits and working tax credits as my 12 yr old granddaughter lives with me. I get basic rate pip. My husband is 59 and has been made redundant so we were advised to claim universal credit. what a mistake. Im getting less money even though i work part time. My tax. Credits were stopped. Any help would be appreciated.


  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,581 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jacksmam

    Welcome to the community! Thank you for sharing your story with us all. I hope members of the community are able to provide some advice on this. If you need anything else then please do let me know!

  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi jacksmam

    I'm really sorry to say that we see this a lot and that there is rarely a solution. It may be that all you can do is complain to your MP in a hope your voice will be added to the ongoing debate about the problems with universal credit (UC).

    There are various reasons why people get less in UC than they did in their old benefits. The problem is there is no transitional protection where people move to UC on a new claim. This is known as the 'natural migration' which is explained further in this useful article by CPAG.  Unless you live outside of the full service area for UC then you are very unlikely to be able to return to your old benefits and tax credits. You can check your postcode here.

    It may be that the only way you can increase your entitlement to UC is to be assessed under the work capability assessment. You can ask the DWP to do this even though you are currently working. This is because you are getting PIP.

    If you are assessed as having a limited capability for work related activity you can have an extra £328.32 per month in your UC. See the Disability Rights UK pages on this for more information.

    I hope this helps. If you go for the work capability assessment and have further questions about this please do post again.

    The Benefits Training Co:

  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    There is that new decision about people with SDP who lost it. Supposedly they should get it back...
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    okay so very confused about stupidly named 'universal credit' ! I mean what is the name about for a start is it universal because anyone who just arrived here can claim it?? what a joke the whole system is and if I was mentally well I wouldn't bother with it all but like most people on this website I have 'issues' and so we have to deal with the silly system. I am confused by the  'extra money' amount you are supposed to get every month on top of universal credit ; is it A; because you are solely on pip or is it b; because you are assessed as having a 'limited capability for work' after their esa type assessment to replace esa?? needs to be a lot clearer...............also what is the silly wording all about ; 'natural migration' I mean come on we don't talk like that in daily life not even the posh lot !!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi kami24

    I couldn' t possibly disagree with you about the odd terms that are used in the regulations and processes surrounding this new benefit, natural migration, managed migration, work allowance rather than earnings disregard;  even the relatively new fit note seems to me to be an odd term, because fit notes demonstrate that someone isn't fit for work rather than that they are. 

    We will all have to  start using the new terminology, though, as the terms all have a specific, if an unlikely,  meaning for this benefit. 

    Those who have said above that premiums have gone in universal credit are right. There isn't any money to acknowledge that someone has a disability and therefore extra costs around this, whereas there is an element that's paid to people who have "limited capacity for work related activity" (previously called support group component in ESA). 

    Natural migration is if you move onto universal credit because your circumstances have changed, say you have moved in with or away for a partner, or into a universal credit full service area, so don't have access to housing benefit . Managed migration is the opposite of this and it's the term used for when the government, the DWP, moves existing customers onto to the new benefit, it will apply from next year onwards. 

    BTW, we should hear more soon about the decision to which Waylay refers, Leigh Day won a case recently that will eventually get more money paid to people who lost severe disability premium when moving onto universal credit. 

    The most useful message at the moment may be to seek advice when your circumstances change, so that you know what impact the new regulations may have on you. 

    Kami24, I so agree with you.

    Information Specialist
    Scope Help;line
    Tel: 0808 800 3333
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.