PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Reclaiming PIP after it has been taken away

jthornejthorne Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
My son was on pip but they took his claim away he has autistic spectrum disorder can he reclaim again 

Replies

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jthorne and a warm welcome to the community. Thank you very much for sharing your story. 

Here is some information about what you have asked:

I applied for PIP and didn't get it. Should I reapply?

If you apply for PIP and get a disappointing award, or no award, it's possible to challenge it. You need first to do a Mandatory Reconsideration and then, if necessary, appeal to the Tribunal.

At the same time, or instead if you decide not to challenge the decision you have got, you can re-apply for PIP – it sometimes takes 2 or 3 attempts to get it.

For challenges, the time limit is 1 calendar month from the date of the DWP’s decision (the decision on their letter).

If you miss the deadline and have very good reasons (such as bereavement), you can apply for a reconsideration up to 13 months but apply as soon as you can.
    (https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/money/pip/faqs)

Also, you can to the PIP self- test (on behalf of your son) which may give you an indication of the outcome. However, please bare in mind that this is not entirely accurate and does not always show what an assessor would give you.
    Scope

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,532 Disability Gamechanger
    How long ago was the decision? Have you done a mandatory reconsideration? 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/683380/if-you-disagree-with-a-decision-made-by-dwp.PDF

This can still be done outside of the one month period and should be considered long before you think about a reclaim? If the reclaim fails you’ll be doing an MR and/or appeal anyway. 
Sign in or join us to comment.