Reclaiming PIP after it has been taken away — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Reclaiming PIP after it has been taken away

jthorne Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My son was on pip but they took his claim away he has autistic spectrum disorder can he reclaim again 


  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jthorne and a warm welcome to the community. Thank you very much for sharing your story. 

    Here is some information about what you have asked:

    I applied for PIP and didn't get it. Should I reapply?

    If you apply for PIP and get a disappointing award, or no award, it's possible to challenge it. You need first to do a Mandatory Reconsideration and then, if necessary, appeal to the Tribunal.
    At the same time, or instead if you decide not to challenge the decision you have got, you can re-apply for PIP – it sometimes takes 2 or 3 attempts to get it.
    For challenges, the time limit is 1 calendar month from the date of the DWP’s decision (the decision on their letter).

    If you miss the deadline and have very good reasons (such as bereavement), you can apply for a reconsideration up to 13 months but apply as soon as you can.

    Also, you can to the PIP self- test (on behalf of your son) which may give you an indication of the outcome. However, please bare in mind that this is not entirely accurate and does not always show what an assessor would give you.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.