PIP Tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Tribunal

Options
Chocciwocky_
Chocciwocky_ Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, I applied for PIP in Oct 2016.I have M.E. I was immediately given no points, asked for a Mandatory Reconsideration  again no points. Letter was sent in July 2017 informing me that in due course they would send me a tribunal date. On the 7th July I received a letter saying my tribunal had gone ahead  & obviously I had been turned down because I wasn't there to fight my corner. I didn't receive a letter or notification of any sort about a tribunal date  I had phoned a few times in the year about getting a date but was told where I was in the queue  quite a long wait. So after waiting a year....... What do I do now ? Can't believe I've waited  & struggled for so long for nothing ? 

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi chocciwoccy.
    As you were not notified I would ask for an appeal to the Upper Tribunal as it is your legal right to present your side of the case.
    Try requesting this it may be applicable,it’s certainly worth a try.Dont know if it will work but you have nothing to lose by asking.Good luck.
          Debsidoo.x

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi again 
    Have a look at Scopes Page about Appealing to the Upper Tribunal under the breach of natural justice clause.
        Debsidoo.x
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi, I applied for PIP in Oct 2016.I have M.E. I was immediately given no points, asked for a Mandatory Reconsideration  again no points. Letter was sent in July 2017 informing me that in due course they would send me a tribunal date. On the 7th July I received a letter saying my tribunal had gone ahead  & obviously I had been turned down because I wasn't there to fight my corner. I didn't receive a letter or notification of any sort about a tribunal date  I had phoned a few times in the year about getting a date but was told where I was in the queue  quite a long wait. So after waiting a year....... What do I do now ? Can't believe I've waited  & struggled for so long for nothing ? 
    Hi i really feel for you and like you have M.E. I well  know how this wretched ailment can affect us and what i don't get is keeps being repeated its not what you have but how it affects us that gives you points. No doubt you clearly explained how it affects you and yet still get refused.?!  Is it normal to have a tribunal hearing without you there?  So your told your in a queue then they send you no date or give you the opportunity to be present.  This is why im reluctant to even apply for PIP when im asked if i want to transfer over from DLA but hubby says i have to try to which i reply no i dont! Hopefully you arnt over 65 as if you get turned down by tribunal that's it you cant ever re apply, it then has to be attendance allowance. ( someone tell me if im wrong hear) I hope so!  Wishing you a better outcome if you choose to fight this
    Sue 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    Options
    sue66 said:

This is why im reluctant to even apply for PIP when im asked if i want to transfer over from DLA but hubby says i have to try to which i reply no i dont! Hopefully you arnt over 65 as if you get turned down by tribunal that's it you cant ever re apply, it then has to be attendance allowance. ( someone tell me if im wrong hear)  
    No you are absolutely correct. If you ever fail to get a PIP award and you are over 65 then that's it - no more chances!
    As for Attendance Allowance, it does not have a mobility element so if a Motability car is also involved that will be taken off you and you can never get another even if you can't manage to walk 1 metre!!
    Claiming Attendance Allowance still has the same problems as the old DLA care system had - getting the assessor to accept that you are telling the truth when claiming that you need considerable care.
    Not too sure of the percentage of successful claims V total claims made, 
    I also don't know if having lost a PIP claim, that information will be used in deciding an Attendance Allowance claim.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.