Can I go through mandatory reconsideration for SDP? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can I go through mandatory reconsideration for SDP?

joe99 Member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi there,I am on PIP and ESA and was receiving Severe Disability Premium,i was living on my own then fell out with the landlord,i had to move back to my parents who receive state pensions and various other beniifits,they had stopped the SDP because i have moved back here but only tempoary,but not yet moved back out,because my father had a brain haemorrhage and two strokes and my mother is riddlled with arthritis and heart defects,and want £754 odd back off me,i can ask for a mandatory reconsideration,i would like to know first if there if anywhere i can see if i DO qualify or any other help/advice would be helpfull,I was told personally i could by a DWP employee that I can still and this was from a man who works for the DWP,he told me this because he hates working for them and is not allowed to offer these benefits unless a customer asks!!! many thanks in advance


  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Joe99 and a warm welcome to the community! I am really sorry to hear about your situation but thank you for turning to the online community regarding this. I do hope that someone in the community is able to offer advice on this, but @BenefitsTrainingCo may be able to help!
    Please do let me know if there is anything that I can do to help :)

  • joe99
    joe99 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    thanks Chloe,i will try this link,thanks again

  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,838 Connected
    A key question here is what’s happened to your tenancy. You can still get SDP if you’re temporarily absent but you can’t be temporarily absent from somewhere if you don’t have a tenancy there any more. Let’s start with that...
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    As usual I agree with Mike! If your move in with your parents is permanent, then you no longer qualify for the SDP. The problem is that it doesn't really matter whose house it is. At the moment, you are living with non-dependants (your parents). I think your stay with them would have to be very temporary for you to still be entitled to the SDP. 

    The test is whether you are 'normally residing' with your parents. So as Mike says, if you still have somewhere else you normally live, that would be a good way of challenging a decision that you normally reside with your parents. If you don't have the tenancy any more, then for the time being, the only place you really can be 'normally residing' is with your parents, in which case I don't think it's worth challenging the decision.

    You might need some housing advice too? (Not something I can help with, but there may be help from Shelter or elsewhere on this forum).

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • joe99
    joe99 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    thanks for the reply Will,i'm still looking into it,i'll post the out come


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.