Disabled build/adaptation issues — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled build/adaptation issues

JoSnow
JoSnow Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi. I’ve joined here as a Mum to a disabled daughter (9).
we are currently having an extension built for her (bedroom and bathroom). We have chosen bifold doors so we can wheel her straight out to the garden. However, having said we want low threshold (no lip to drive over), we are now being told that if we choose that they are not under warranty? We don’t understand why they’d offer something that they don’t deem fully weather proof? And how can it be a disabled build if easy access isn’t paramount? Any advice/knowledge is massively appreciated. Thank you x

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @JoSnow   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing.

Understand the community may have some answers for you. Please have a look at our Practical Information and support. Could be some solutions.

Also look at Specific Conditions as well if that helps.

I do not know what the answer is. Sorry just being here to welcome you and hope you can find solutions with some suggestions.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @JoSnow,

Sorry for the delay is responding, I've been away from the office for a few days.

This all sounds very strange and I'm struggling to understand what is going on here. I haven't really got enough information to be able to advice but I'll make a guess and outline a couple of theories.

Is the work being funded under the Disabled Facilities Grant scheme (DFG)? If so, it could be that if the threshold is a 'non-standard item' for the DFG contractors. Therefore, they are unwilling to include it in their normal warranty arrangements with the local authority because they lack the experience to be confident about how it will perform. If this is the case and it is DFG funded work you might be limited in your options to get it sorted out if your local authority is one which specifies what contractor you have to use. Of course you can take the matter up with the local authority but you may find that this delays the build and you are still left with the option to have the threshold you want with no warranty or a higher threshold that has a warranty. If you go for the latter a possible 'work-around' might be obtaining small rubber threshold ramps for either side of the door:    https://glebehealthcare.co.uk/products/doorline-neatslope-adhesive-threshold-ramp.html?cmp_id=655723572&adg_id=32199797663&kwd=&device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgN6L4-2o3AIVVMYbCh2hJgdDEAQYASABEgIK8PD_BwE  Admittedly not as convenient, accessible or aesthetically pleasing as a level threshold 

Alternatively, if this is work that you are funding yourself you will presumably have a lot more of a free hand to engage the contractors and select the products that meet your personal requirements. If the contractors can't or won't do what you ask and can't give you a clear explanation maybe it is time to shop around  and engage somebody more helpful.

There are many sorts of threshold available. See this website for examples: https://www.duration.co.uk/ContinentalFoldingDoors-Thresholds.asp As your doors are leading straight out into the garden, which is presumably an exposed area, you need a threshold which is 'fully weather rated'.

Hope this helps in some way,

Best Wishes
    Jean  

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.