Chronic pain and PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Chronic pain and PIP

MAB Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I suffer with chronic pain in my legs, which means I can only walk one step at a time, I have had a bypass in one and an angioplasty in the other. I am awaiting nerve blocking surgery however I have since been diagnosed with heart disease and need either bypass surgery or stents but I am allergic to a lot of the blood thinners. This problem has overruled my nerve blocking surgery so I am now at least another year from that surgery as you have to be on blood thinners for 1 year after the heart works. I also have just been diagnosed with Emphysema so get out of breath easily. 

I have been receiving PIP for several years and was renewed this year. I had a TIA which finished me at work plus the fact I had to crawl up three flights of stairs so went onto ESA in October 2017. I was called in for a face to face assessment and was put in the support group. Since then I have been called in for a face to face assessment with the PIP following which I had a breakdown as it was with Capita who did not care about me or my problems. I have now got another assessment for ESA next week.

Is anyone else having to go through three assessments in less than one year or is it my bad luck?

I have come to the conclusion that the DWP must find disabled scroungers so abhorrent that they are trying to get us to commit suicide as they are unable to put us in the gas chambers themselves. I have had enough and want to go now but they wont even give us the right to die at home with Nembutal, can't afford Switzerland so it will probably a jump somewhere, enough is enough.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,609 Disability Gamechanger

    Yes, you're not alone with this i'm afraid. Most people have to go through these assessments regularly. For ESA they can re-assess you at anytime. For PIP it's 1 year before your award is due to end, so totally depends on your award length.

    Unfortunately if you want to continue to claim them then forms have to be returned and you need to attend any future assessments. Good luck for your next one.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.