Being persued for debt that isn’t mine — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Being persued for debt that isn’t mine

SMW83 Member Posts: 97 Courageous
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hi all,

I left a violent and controlling relationship over 4 years ago which left me with PTSD, Agoraphobia, Depression and Anxiety.

Around 2 years ago I was contacted by a Debt Collection Agency regarding a debt that was taken out in my name, however a number of months after I left the relationship at the address my former partner still resides in. I believe the finance was taken out fraudulently by my ex to cause me problems.

In spite of advising the debt collection agency that I did not reside at the property and my belief it was taken out fraudulently, they are persuing me for this debt, contacting me by telephone and email several times a day. I have also advised them of my illnesses and the fact thier contact is having an effect on my health but they continue to contact me.

Can anyone advise as to what action I can take as like I have said this is causing my health to deteriorate.


  • susan48
    susan48 Member Posts: 2,222 Disability Gamechanger

    I would inform the police, as that’s fraud and I’d try to get legal advice ASAP.

    This must be causing you extreme anxiety and stress.

    Definetly inform the police and lawyer as this could potentially harm your financial record for years to come.

    Good luck and we are here for you 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,868 Connected
    Call the police immediately. You are getting harassed by these idiots. Don’t respond to any phone calls either. Find a good sharky lawyer pronto as well. Also I hope you have thought about taking this to a court. You have a good case. Good luck and please keep us updated. This can potentially destroy your financial reputation irrevocably. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Have you talked to CAB? They might also be able to help you. Also it might also help if you started seeing a decent therapist in your area too. Hang in there. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Goodness me @SMW83, I'm so sorry to hear about this.

    As the others have said, this sounds more like a matter for the police and a legal team, but wishing you all the best and please feel free to keep us updated/let us know how you get on. I really hope things get sorted as painlessly as possible for you.
  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,449 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes most definitely report the matter to the police and if posiple block the callers number if you are being contacted on your mobile phone, but as you state you beleive that the financial agreement, load what ever was taken out fraudulently falseying your details and signature, if this is true and can be proved your ex is in for some serious police investigation. Good luck keep posting and update us how you get on.
  • feir
    feir Member Posts: 395 Pioneering

    ^This might help you also, to stop them from harassing you in the mean time.
    I know it's easy to say don't worry as the debt is not even yours but i understand that this is not possible for you.

    Also wish you luck.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.