Severe disablement premium — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Severe disablement premium

livonia Member Posts: 74 Courageous
Hello the benefits system just is so complicated ? my dtr is in London at uni full time but comes home during part of summer and Xmas . For dwp purposes do I live alone or not ? Doesn’t seem a simple yes or no. Reason I ask is I have been awarded pip backdated already and I have esa in support group. Letter Sd I may qualify for severe disability premium. I don’t claim carers allow for anyone


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,453 Disability Gamechanger
    It will be up to a decision maker to decide on this one. My advice would be to apply for it and see what happens.

    This was taken from the decision makers guide.
    44135 In a case where a student lives at a university address during term time and lives at their parents home for some weekends and during the holidays, the DM should have regard to the considerations at DMG 44126 before deciding which address is where they normally reside. Whichever address is chosen will remain the students normal residence even when they spend time at the other address.
    A student still retains a bedroom, furniture and some clothing at their parents home, they still get some mail there, are registered with the local dentist and are actually resident for 18 full weeks and most weekends. On this evidence the DM decides that the student normally resides at their parents home and are only temporarily absent from it whilst at university.
    Alternatively the DM may decide that because the student has a tenancy agreement for a university address, they have some furniture and clothes there, they live there for 32 weeks of the year and are liable for gas, electricity and a tv licence that they normally reside at the university address and are only temporarily absent from it whilst back living with their parents.

  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Connected
    Simply put based on the above it all depends on how you word the claim and evidence. 
    Both examples show that the student 'lives' away from the family home for more weeks of the year than they 'live' at uni but depending on the information you disclose to the DWP will depend on whether you get the right result.

    I would say that both example fit most students - clothes at two addresses,mail goes to both addresses, uses GP services at both addresses, two bedrooms full of personal possessions, pay for accommodation for both addresses and above all are registered to vote at both addresses.

    I know my daughters did - they were never sure where there permanent place was!


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.