My appeal for pip is going through court — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

My appeal for pip is going through court

Lucysam25 Member Posts: 35 Connected
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi  i have cp spine-bifda also & arthritis of the knees & hip  but going forva new hip replacement what if my appeal comes back & giving a date for my apeal & i am in hospital what would happen if am still in hospital a bit confused 


  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,610 Disability Gamechanger
    Write to tribunal clerk and give all dates that you expect to be unavailable to attend a hearing.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    I would do as Matilda suggests. If you do get a hearing date through which you cannot attend, then contact the tribunal as soon as possible and ask for a postponement. I'd do this in writing and follow up with a phone call to make sure they have accepted the postponement request. Make it clear you don't want the tribunal to go ahead without you.

    If you feel more able to do things after the hip replacement, you need to let the DWP know. Remember that the tribunal can only look at how things were on the date of the decision you are appealing against.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,610 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    Tribunals service do say in their acknowledgement of your SSCS1 form to notify them in advance of any dates you won't be available to attend a hearing - so they know not to schedule a date when you won't be available.  I sent them the dates I knew at the time and added more as more dates became unavailable.  You don't have to give reasons why you won't be available.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.