Scope Severe Disablement Premium — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Scope Severe Disablement Premium

oldngrumpy Member Posts: 186 Pioneering

Hia Folks

I asked for some advice a few weeks ago re: P.I.P. (M.R) and also…

I was sent an application form for Severe Disablement Premium.

The DWP sent me this application I did not request this….

Anyhow this afternoon Wed 31.7.018 I made two enquiries on the above claims.

The P.I.P claim is still being decided, they have received the M.R., was given advice that it would take about another two weeks… This was confirmed a few minutes later by text.

I also enquired about the Severe Disability Premium (SDP).

They could not help me with this but was advised to ring my local Job Centre….

This I did (after almost twenty mins waiting) and divulging personal info..

I was told that I was not entitled to this because I live with my brother.

If anything happened to me I could always call upon my brother to help me.

So the case was closed!

But…my brother works nights, and I am out the house during the day because he is sleeping.

This time I spend in my local library (as when typing this) so I am on my own during the night.

Things have happened to me during the night…incontinence, falling whilst going to the toilet because of the gout (excruciatingly painful) leading to incontinence…

Like most people I have good and bad days.  

But although I do not like admitting this I have just turned fifty, and things are getting worse.

Should I take this decision lying down and accept the SDP decision or should I go to the C.A.B (they are worth their weight in gold) and appeal.

Thank you for any attention on this….


  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    @oldngrumpy Sorry to hear this but the Severe Disability Premium (SDP). is only if you live on your own and know one lives with you. Your brother might be able to claim careers allowance as he and you live at the same address.

    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

    You can see the video here.

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,180 Disability Gamechanger
    Even if you're both liable for the rent it would make no difference here. The issue  is that your brother is classed as a close relative and for this reason they are classed as a non dependent and will exclude you from being awarded the severe disability premium. Requesting the MR in this case is pointless, even if your brother works nights.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.