Paper Based Work Capabilty Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Paper Based Work Capabilty Assessment

d123
d123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi

I recently sent back my completed UC50 work Capability Assessment form and I was told I don't have to have a Medical as they have enough information and it has been sent back to the DWP to make a decision.  This is my first Assessment and my understanding is on a first Assessment it can only be recommended that you be put in the support group (LCWRA)
Is this correct?
Many thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

No this isn't true. You can't be found fit for work without a face 2 face assessment but you can be put into either of the groups. For UC it's LCW or LCWRA. If the decision is LCWRA then you're money will increase after the 14th week of your claim, if the time it's taken has gone over this then you'll be back dated to the 14th week of your claim.

If decision is LCW and you applied after April 2017 then you won't receive any extra money for this group. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • d123
    d123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi thanks a lot for the reply

Do you know where it says this on the internet so I can have a look for myself as I've read on several sites under ESA,  first claim, its recommended that you be put into the support group so its a bit confusing. 
     So it looks like ESA and Universal credit have different regulations for this but I cant seem to read where it says this about Universal credit.
    I'm sure it must be written somewhere so I would really appreciate your feedback
    Many thanks
    D
  • poppy123456
    I can't find anything that relates to this for you to read, sorry. However ESA and UC WCA have the same regulations. The only difference is they have different names, Support Group and WRAG for ESA and LCW and LCWRA for UC. ESA is paid fortnightly while UC is paid monthly. The only time you can be found fit for work without a face 2 face assessment is if you "fail to attend the WCA"

I have no idea where you read that but it's not correct. You can't be found fit for work without an assessment but you can be given either LCW or LCWRA, exactly the same rules apply for ESA you can't be found fit for work without a face 2 face assessment but you can be put into either or the groups, even if it's the first claim. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    ESA and UC have the same rules for the assessments, whether they are paper based assessments or face 2 face. The difference between them both is the name of the groups, and payment is monthly for UC, where as ESA is fortnightly. Special regulations for ESA is reg 29 for WRAG and 35 for Support Group. For UC the number used is different. Other than that the descriptors for each one are identical, as are the rules.

You can't be found fit for work without a face 2 face but you can certainly be put into either of the groups for ESA and UC is the same. Just because it's your first assessment doesn't mean you'll be given LCWRA, there's nothing anywhere that states this because it's not true. You won't be given this without satisfying one of the descriptors for LCWRA/Support Group.

This was copied from this link.
    In some circumstances you can be treated as having limited capability for work in Universal Credit without having to go through the work capability assessment, for example if you are on certain treatment programs.
     Please note...It doesn't not state LCWRA
    The rules are exactly the same for ESA.

Link here.

• mumof22018
    mumof22018 Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    4d123 said:
    Hi

I recently sent back my completed UC50 work Capability Assessment form and I was told I don't have to have a Medical as they have enough information and it has been sent back to the DWP to make a decision.  This is my first Assessment and my understanding is on a first Assessment it can only be recommended that you be put in the support group (LCWRA)
    Is this correct?
    Many thanks
    I found this and u were right just im in same position and was wondering 
    Read below from document i found

For new ESA claims, at the initial Work Capability Assessment, only SG
    recommendations can be made using paper evidence only. At repeat 
    assessments and for Incapacity Benefit Reassessment (IBR), both SG and 
    WRAG recommendations can be made using paper evidence only. No 
    claimant can be found fit for work without undergoing a face-to-face 
    assessment. 
    In response to your query, excluding special rules cases, statis

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.