Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Newbie would appreciate some advice

Hello all.

I am a newbie who would really appreciate some advice about ESA.

I have just heard (over the telephone) that my ESA medical has found me fit for work.

I scored 6 points for occasionally losing consciousness.

I believe I am not fit for work for the following reasons for which I have an indefinite sick note from my doctor;

·      I am registered partially sighted and have no peripheral vision and limited main vision.

·      I have chronic arthritis and find it difficult to grip things.

·      I have Asperger’s Syndrome which means being in places with bright lights, loud sounds and lots of people is very distressing.

·      I have labile diabetes controlled with an insulin pump.  I lose consciousness at least once a month because of this.

·      I have gastroparesis. This means my stomach cannot digest food properly.  It leads to bloating and vomiting and adds to the poor diabetic control.

·      I have a mild cognitive deficit.  My wife will not allow me out on my own as I sometimes forget to check roads are clear before crossing plus I can’t see all that well anyway.

·      I have proximal, peripheral and autonomic neuropathy.  This causes pain in my legs, I can’t easily move from sitting to standing and means I cannot regulate my body temperature anymore – I am permanently too hot.

·      I have Raynaud’s phenomonen – Cold fingers and toes.  It can be difficult to move them.

Generally I stay at home unless I can go out with someone.  I can manage to read my Kindle on its largest text setting but keep forgetting where I am so have to keep re-reading.  At least this means a book lasts a long time!  I am unable to perform any physical activity after eating as my blood sugar crashes and I have a hypo or lose consciousness.

I would really appreciate some help/guidance as the worry about money is really starting to cause problems.

Replies

• steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Platinum

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you today.

I’m very very sorry to hear about your current situation/problems.

We have got lots of info on “Benefits” if that would be helpful???

There is also some “Benefit Advisors” here on our site which may be helpful????

Please please let me know if this would be helpful?????
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Platinum   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing. May I add sorry what has happened. I know this is a difficult time and I can understand you being anxious.

Need to speak to your local CAB that will advise you further.

Also a member of our community might advise or a member of our team. The benefit system is complex and confusing.

May I add they will tell you how to proceed.. 

I am sorry to tell you but this does happen. No matter how ill or disabled you are.

You are as a member of our community. May I suggest you have a look at our posts on ESA you will see.

Many members of our community with similar stories wishing to share add comments.

All I can say hope and wish you well. Understand the pain and heart break but it is what is happening in our community constantly.

I just wanted to welcome you and hope we can help and advise.

Am here as the community to listen anytime.  

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
Sign in or join us to comment.