Esa premiums — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Esa premiums

sam12 Posts: 1,338 Connected
If I win pip but off esa due to living with some what about my premiums though if this happens only suggestion  advise pls


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,438 Disability Gamechanger
    If you don't claim Income Related ESA because your partner is working then you won't be entitled to any of the premiums if your MR/Tribunal for PIP goes in your favour.
  • bobscrufftia3391
    bobscrufftia3391 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    should you automatically get Income related esa on top of contribution based esa support if you are single and living alone??
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    sam12 - Poppy's advice on this is absolutely right. If you can't get income-related ESA because you live with someone who is working, then you can't get the premiums. You'll still get arrears of PIP if you win, and other help you get because you are on PIP will still apply.


    1. If you are getting PIP daily living component or DLA middle or higher rate care component, AND you live alone, AND you don't have anyone claiming carer's allowance for you, then it is worth checking whether you should be getting some income-related ESA because you may be missing the severe disability premium (SDP).

    2. It's also worth checking if you should get income-related ESA in your case, because you are in the support group of ESA, so you may be entitled to an extra bit of income-related ESA called the enhanced disability premium (EDP).

    It SHOULD be automatic, as a claim for ESA is a claim for both types, but income-related ESA often gets missed, and it may depend on what you told the DWP when you first claimed. If you moved from Incapacity Benefit, it's particularly likely that income-related ESA may have got missed.

    You can't get income-related ESA if you have more than £16,000 in savings, and savings of less than this can reduce your award. You may also not be entitled to income-related ESA if you get other income, for example, an occupational or personal pension, but it depends on the weekly amount of your other income and whether it's all taken into account.

    If you think that you might be entitled to either the SDP or the EDP, and you are not getting income-related ESA, and you don't have significant amounts of savings/other income then I would get in touch with the DWP. You may be entitled to arrears (backdating) of benefit. If you were previously on Incapacity Benefit, the DWP are meant to be looking through their records to identify people who didn't get income-related ESA when they were supposed to. This will take them a while, and there's no harm in getting in touch with them now if you think you're missing out on some extra benefit.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • bobscrufftia3391
    bobscrufftia3391 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    My son was living with his gf until 2013, when they were together she got the IR top up. Once they split up he remained on CB support group.  I think he should have had the premium added once he was single and living alone. I did advise them of the change of circumstances but didn't realise he should have been getting it until now. They have now added it but don't seem to want to pay the back pay.
  • sam12
    sam12 Posts: 1,338 Connected
    Think u mis read.  Wen I stop was am certain I still get 1 premium o need to check it
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,438 Disability Gamechanger
    If your ESA stops because you move in with your partner who works then you won't be entitled to any premiums. Premiums are paid on top of Income related benefits and if you don't claim them you're not entitled to them.
  • sam12
    sam12 Posts: 1,338 Connected
    Benefit reduce this Thurs they still.had me on current pay out. Kant make end meet had some bills reduced to 1 pound fortnight. Won't be long be 4 i love away share new life away from lousy dwp esa.  Still have pip wen I win.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.