Worried about PIP assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Worried about PIP assessment

dingleberry Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have a pip assessment coming up I requested for a home visit as I suffer from anxiety agoraphobia and depression along with physical health problems I find it very difficult to leave my home 1. Because I live on the 2nd floor with two young children on my own with severe back problems 2.because I guess I find it difficult to explain but mentally I just can’t bring myself to I even get aggressive at the thought of going out sometimes but I’m absolutely panicking because I have no support system whatsoever after being in Dv relationship and homeless and then breaking up with my children’s father I’m all over the place I applied for pip last year took a taxi to assessment and once inside assesser questioned me and asked me to sit on chair he would help me I was refused pip for that exact reason because I sat on the high chair even though he helped I have no idea how to deal with these people and that’s why I gave up I cannot mentally take that pressure it’s just too much now if these people come here what do I do I live alone with my children but not out of choice the kids father comes and cooks and takes care of children puts em to bed then leaves this happens 3 times a week and I struggle the rest of the time because I don’t have a choice I would rather suffer in pain than have my children starve and dirty and unhappy please can someone help any suggestions are welcome


  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dingleberry, and a warm welcome to the community!

    Thanks for sharing this with us- the assessment process can feel very overwhelming at times, but hopefully we can help. It sounds as though you've done the right thing by requesting a home assessment.

    I'd recommend having a read of this guide about PIP, and coming back to us with any questions. Many of our community members have been through the process themselves and I'm sure they'll be quick to offer support and advice, but if we can be of any further assistance in the meantime, do let us know. 

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,435 Disability Gamechanger
    Have they agreed to a home visit? Do you have anyone that can be with you during the assessment? A friend ot family member can help with the anxiety.

    As you know, during the assessment you'll be asked questions about how your conditions affect you. You should answer them with as much detail as possible and try to avoid the one worded yes or no answers.

    Did you send evidence to support your claim? They very rarely contact anyone for this and the onus is on you to make sure it's sent.

    You say this is your 2nd claim because you were refused the first time. If you're not successful this time it maybe worth thinking about the MR then Tribunal if needed. Your local CAB or other disability advice centre maybe able to help you through this process. Good luck.
  • dingleberry
    dingleberry Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you and sorry for the late reply I have been asked to come in for a assessment now  :/:/
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,435 Disability Gamechanger
    Did you send a letter from your GP stating the reasons why a home assessment is needed? If not then you will need to do this and even then they can refuse. Please speak to your GP to see if they will support you with a letter, if you haven't already done this. Remember also that if this assessment needs to be canceled then you can only cancel it once. If a letter from your GP isn't possible then can you take someone with you that can support you during the assessment? Maybe a friend or family member? They won't be able to speak for you but just being there may help. Good luck.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.