Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Getting a written statement from UC

BoredlemonBoredlemon Member Posts: 12 Connected
edited August 2018 in Universal Credit
Anybody else having trouble getting a written statement? I need one for a housing application to breakdown my earnings but it seems to be impossible. It goes like this:

UC: you can request a written statement within one month from the 17th July

Me today 8th August: requests one

UC work coach: Sorry no but you can print out a copy of your statement or you can request a written statement within one month of 17th July 

I find this pretty bold of them to assume I have printer or a way or capability to get to a library right now. What’s the issue with sending me out a letter?


  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,557 Disability Gamechanger
    If it’s full service then they want everything done via the journal. 
  • BoredlemonBoredlemon Member Posts: 12 Connected
    I know I don't mind using the journal but I need the paperwork to show what I get for a housing application. P.I.P sent me a dwp letter saying what benefit I receive and what my payments are, I don't understand why UC won't do the same especially when I'm asking for one 
  • BoredlemonBoredlemon Member Posts: 12 Connected
    I'm just worried I'm going to miss out on this housing opportunity because I don't have the correct paperwork 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Forget going by the coach and request it via the journal.
  • BoredlemonBoredlemon Member Posts: 12 Connected
    I’m fully frustrated with universal credit. I get that it’s fully online but when you need documentation you should be able to request it. I’ve requested through the journal, through the work coach and on the phone and they refuse to just send me out a proof of benefit letter. 

    It’s not a big ask. It’s ridiculous 
  • BoredlemonBoredlemon Member Posts: 12 Connected
    When I said ‘I’m disabled and having difficulty getting around at the moment and just need a letter sent out me’

    The lady on the phone was kind of rude and condescending asking me if that was truly the case how do I get my shopping

    So I told her online shopping

    What a stupid question? How does she think I get food if I can’t physically get out? And I especially loved the ‘truly’ part. Why would I lie about struggling at the moment?

    This service is incredibly unhelpful to disabled people. Can definitely tell it wasn’t created with people like me in mind

  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,653 Disability Gamechanger
    I am really sorry to hear about your experiences @Boredlemon and I do hope you are able to get it sorted soon!

  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

    It sounds like no one is listening and that there is no understanding that you need an official letter e.g. on letterheaded paper to confirm UC entitlement which cannot be obtained from e.g. a screen print out from your online journal.  

    You could lodge  a complaint , please see link below to the DWP complaint procedure, and I would also be tempted to contact your MP to see if they (or their caseworkers) can ask on your behalf that a letter of entitlement be sent to you. 


    Good luck and keep us posted

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • BoredlemonBoredlemon Member Posts: 12 Connected
    I didn’t get a letter of entitlement sent out to me. I had to give my UC login information to a family member and they printed out my payment statements and thankfully the housing group were understanding and accepted that. 

    I haven't made a complaint I’m too nervous about making trouble and I don’t know the first about MPs. That kind of government thing doesn’t exist for people of my background, I can’t even vote.

    I just hope the next person that might run into this roadblock gets much better treatment and maybe UC will start offering a way to either print out or forward an email of a letter of entitlement for those who need it for proof of disability. Thanks for the help and advice
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,557 Disability Gamechanger
    In UC everything is done via the journal so of you want a letter you won’t get one and will need to print from the journal. 
Sign in or join us to comment.