Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I need help finding accommodation

gemgem2gemgem2 Member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi everyone I am currently looking for accommodation, which takes mentally ill and disabled people. Any suggestions? 


  • RipplesRipples Member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @gemgem2 Do you have a support worker? it might be better to contact them or get advice from Shelter or CAB etc .  Other than that accommodation varies across the country, which benefits are you in receipt of?
    If you are under  the age of 35 and single be aware  of the limitations you might face on what your LHA ( Local Housing Authority), says you are entitled to be paid for. By that I mean they may only pay the amount for a  room in a house or a bedsit. I presume that you have spoken to your council? Are you currently in private accommodation or staying with family/friends?
  • gemgem2gemgem2 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi I’m currently with friends but it’s only for a short period. I’m on universal credit. I just don’t know what way to turn, I am getting allocated a social worker but I’m unsure of how long this will take
  • gemgem2gemgem2 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    I’m 35 years old, I have mental health illness. What else do you need to know? 
  • RipplesRipples Member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @gemgem2 I would go to Citizen's Advice, take a friend if you can and see what they recommend as they will be aware of what is available in your local area. There are schemes with many councils which will guarantee your deposit ( bond), on a property as getting a deposit is sometimes the hardest part of  getting a place to live. You can also explore registering with  your local council for housing, you will appreciate that social housing might be a long term goal.
  • RipplesRipples Member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx   will tell you what your local authority will pay in rent .
  • gemgem2gemgem2 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    I live in Ipswich, I’ve been with Ipswich council since I was 17 but not got anything. What services do you actually offer, because I need help concerning my problems, but don’t know what is the best way to go. My friend told me that scope offers a lot of help, but I cannot see what help you offer. I’m new to this scope online thing, please help me
  • susan48susan48 Member Posts: 2,229 Disability Gamechanger
    @gemgem2, Maybe call the scope helpline for advice 
  • RipplesRipples Member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    Like @susan48 says if you want to  talk to a Scope adviser you are better calling them on the helpline  0808 800 3333.   
  • gemgem2gemgem2 Member Posts: 5 Listener
  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,263 Pioneering
    You live not too far from me and although not the same county most councils round here are pretty difficult about housing people because there is a very large shortage which they stopped trying to do anything about years ago. Follow the advice above and hopefully they will be able to help. Personally I would trust the CAB much more than I would a Social Worker but that's partly due to having had problems with SW's before. Maybe you will fare better with them.

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • hyancinthhyancinth Member Posts: 12 Connected
    Hi gemgem2

    I have just posted re housing myself and I just started googling now.  A friend suggested social housing a while back but  I think theres an affordability aspect to it which will make it impossible. Ive just come across results about accredited landlords that the council has (I think) Maybe decent house shares or bedsits? This is what I need, maybe you too. I will post again once Ive looked into it. Re CAB I went to see them and they werent helpful for my situation did not signpost me to this site the council or shelter advice. Perhaps I just wrong person. 
Sign in or join us to comment.