My son earns £200 per week - is he eligible for help? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

My son earns £200 per week - is he eligible for help?

sueham68 Member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi my name is Sue I have an adult son with autism. 


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,946 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sueham68

    Welcome to the community!

    Within the community there are many parents with autistic children, you're not alone. There are many discussions regarding Autism. Please don't hesitate to ask anything :)

    Ami :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,105

    Scope community team

    Hi @sueham68

    Welcome to Scope's community! It's great to have you here.  Just to get you started we have a How To Guide here, you can see all the latest posts here, jump in and get involved and don't worry we are a friendly bunch!  
    If you need anything, just let us know. 

    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • sueham68
    sueham68 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi I was wondering if someone could give me advice. I have a 26 year old son with autism. He works in a cafe, originally he worked16 hours and received ESA. His hours have increased to approx 28 hours and no longer receives help due to his increased hours. However he now feels he would like to leave home and get his own flat. What I would like to know is would he be eligible for help again as he only earns £200 per week. 
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,105 Pioneering
    Hi @Sueham68,

    Welcome to Scope's online community!

    I found this on the Gov.UK website about ESA and the eligibility criteria, which may be of interest to you:
    Permitted work
    If you do ‘permitted work’ it will not usually affect your ESA. It’s permitted work if both the following apply:
    • you earn up to £125.50 a week
    • you work less than 16 hours a week
    There’s no limit on how many weeks your permitted work can last for.

    Supported permitted work

    You can do ‘supported permitted work’ and earn up to £125.50 a week. Supported permitted work must be one of the following:
    • part of a treatment programme
    • supervised by someone from a local council or voluntary organisation whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people
    You may also find our online benefits checker tool useful, as it can give you an idea of what benefits your son may be able to claim.

    I hope this helps. If you have any other questions then please do get in touch!
  • Ripples
    Ripples Member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @sueham68 if £200 is his only income he should qualify for housing benefit. However, be aware that as he is under the age of 35 he may be limited in what accommodation he can get the maximum help for as he will probably only qualify for the shared accommodation rate. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,416 Disability Gamechanger
    Also if he lives in a full Universal credit area it would be this he will need to claim and not housing benefit.

    When claiming any sort of benefits like this, it can often be extremely difficult to find a landlord that is willing to take on a tennant that claims benefits such as help with their rent. If you are lucky enough to find one in your area they may also want a guarantor. A tenancy agreement will be needed as proof of rent before apply for any benefits.

    The permitted work rules about do not apply in your sons circumstances.

    Use a benefits calculator to see what he could possibly claim.
  • sueham68
    sueham68 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you for your help I’ll definately look into this for him ?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.